New Doug Self pre-amp design... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2012, 03:09 PM   #21
diyAudio Moderator

Dirk, I can guarantee just about every piece of music you have ever listened to has passed though a dozen or more 5532s. They are very, very common in even high end recording kit.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th March 2012, 03:09 PM   #22
nickds1 is offline nickds1  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Oh brother, what ever. If you want tone controls and a million chips in your preamp, then please, go for it. If you think this is real engineering, please, go right ahead with your belief. I don't care about this little project, I'm not ever going to build it, and I don't care about anyone's justifications for it. You misunderstand. I don't have any complaints because I don't give a hoot about this project. Can you hear me now? I don't care about it!
For someone who doesn't "give a hoot" about this project you certainly write a lot about it
Old 17th March 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickds1 View Post
Just a heads-up...

This month's (UK) Elektor (April 2012, dropped on the mat this morning...)
Specifications
Crosstalk R to L 98 dB (1 kHz)
74 dB (20 kHz)
L to R 102 dB (1 kHz)
80 dB (20 kHz)
here too (German edition)...what do you make of the asymmetric crosstalk numbers? A grounding issue within the 'high quality' board developed by 'Elektor Labs' or a measurement flaw?
Old 17th March 2012, 03:21 PM   #24
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh brother, what ever. If you want tone controls and a million chips in your preamp, then please, go for it. If you think this is real engineering, please, go right ahead with your belief. I don't care about this little project, I'm not ever going to build it, and I don't care about anyone's justifications for it. You misunderstand. I don't have any complaints because I don't give a hoot about this project. Can you hear me now? I don't care about it!
Woaaa...........
Old 17th March 2012, 03:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Dirk, I can guarantee just about every piece of music you have ever listened to has passed though a dozen or more 5532s. They are very, very common in even high end recording kit.
Or, to quote Mr.Self from his active crossovers book:

Quote:
With tiresome inevitability, the very popularity and excellent technical performance of the 5532 has led to it being savagely criticised by Subjectivists who have contrived to convince themselves that they can tell opamps apart by listening to music played through them. This always draws a hollow laugh from me, as there is probably no music on the planet that has not passed through a hundred or more 5532s on its way to the consumer.
Old 17th March 2012, 03:46 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

I stand corrected!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th March 2012, 03:48 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
His laugh must be hollow because his logic is flawed - the 'Subjectivists' he creates are a figment of his own imagination
Old 17th March 2012, 04:06 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You misunderstand.

It is you who doesn't understand. D Self is like a god here. Only more senior.

Some day, when utter boredom and senility take over i'll build a design of his. With only audiophile approved parts. Maybe even write a subjective review. And then i'll test if lightning strikes.
Old 17th March 2012, 07:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
I'm sure Douglas Self is aware of the alternatives (and "aware" is an understatement in this context).
Actually, in the article he makes a case why he uses the devices he uses. The article is very much to the point for anyone interested in 'opamp rolling', even if you're not interested in a preamp.
The rationale why he uses several of these devices in parallel rather than singles of the 'hi end' devices seems logical as well.

jan didden
Old 17th March 2012, 07:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, I didn't know cost was an important consideration. The price of the chips is a small fraction of the total cost of a project. The pretty box is usually far more expensive, as is the power supply.

Your hint wasn't very clear to me at all.

The NE5532 has twice the noise of say a LME49720. When you have so many chips, noise should be a primary consideration in my opinion.
... so with 4 parallel NE's you're at 6dB less noise than an LME at 1/4 the price. Seems a good deal to me.

jan

Hide this!Advertise here!