altec 1590E input questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all could someone help me with this old altec 1590E it has the 15095A plug in transformer my question is this with the transformer in place can i connect a high level input source..ie speaker outputs of a a\v reciever or are the inputs strictly 0.8v the literature says a direct connection of 0.8v or higher is available on tap 1,2 but does that mean line voltage..like speaker output... thanks sorry for the newb question.

hmmm no response i will try to

word it a little differently! i have checked and researched all the altec literature and posts that i can find and being much less than an electronics engineer the answer to my question is quite confusing. actually for that matter heck the question is kinda confusing.i really would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually hooked up an altec 1590E and can tell me if using the 15095 plug in transformer can i directly connect high level (speaker) input to input tap 1and 2 or strictly a pre/amp output! like i said the manual is quite confusing as it only mention input impedence and not voltages!is the 15095 transformer a step down transformer that reduces input voltage to 0.8volts or exactly what function does it perform..... i notice they cost more than both amplifiers cost me!!!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I took a look at the lit. The amp is for commercial sound, I.E. 70V (and higher) distributed systems, you know that - right? Maybe you are using the 30V output tap.

Anyway, the amp will hit full power with an input voltage of 0.8V. Plugging in the transformer would mean that you will hit full power with an input of 0.08V. Not a great idea. "Speaker Level" can mean a lot of things, but that might be about 5 volts average.
You'd want an attenuator before the amp for reasonable volume control. Something in the range of 6:1 would be a good starting point.

Hope that helps.

afaik, you do not need an input xfmr at all. direct in with line level should work fine. I have the 1594 and it is virtually the same amp (I do not use it for hi-fi stuff, btw), and iirc you can connect an RCA jack and use it that way.

If you post the schematic, then it will be easier to comment on how to do it.

Sell the input transformers, unless you need them for a specific purpose.

_-_-bear

I've never used a 1590E, or C, or D without a 15095 transformer. To me it adds isolation and certainly doesn't hurt a thing. Trying to run the amplifier with a speaker output feed is nOT recommended. The amplifier was designed to run with a .775-.800 signal input level.

If you have the transformer then run it. You have nothing to gain by not using it.

...my question is this with the transformer in place can i connect a high level input source..ie speaker outputs of a a\v reciever....

No, the 15095A is not meant for that. It is used to convert your power amp High Z input to 600 Ohms. This transformer is only used in systems working on dBm (0dBm=1mW). For hifi (dBV or dBu), the 600 ohms impedance is a very difficult load for the preamp. I suggest you remove this transformer unless you are using a pro mixer. Those are the ones running on dBm.

To drive your Altec with your AV Receiver Speaker Out, remove the 15095A. Install a voltage divider at the input of the Altec, a 100K to input (#1) followed by 2.7K shunt to 0V (#2). Connect Red speaker wire to 100K and Black speaker wire to 0V. This will lower your speaker output to line input.

Attachments

• ALTEC 15095A TRANSFORMER.jpg
    ALTEC 15095A TRANSFORMER.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 158
The 15095 or 15095A is a 150ohm mic level or 600 ohm line level to 15K step up transformer. Trying to drive the 1590 with speaker output from your A/V receiver is not a good idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the transformer being in the input. Given the resale price of these on ebray you could sell the transformer for a hunk of change. There is strapping information available for bypassing the transformer.

The more acceptable way of doing this is connect a 70 volt transformer 8 ohm side to your receiver and say a 1/4 or 1/2watt tap of the transformer to the input of the 1590. This will drop the level down to a safe one that the 1590 will work with. You can pick a tap that will work fine and deliver a suitable input level.

Since I have had to use these antique pieces for the last 20 yrs in commercial applications I have to ask why in the world would you even want to use this piece of crap? They make a better boat anchor then they ever did an amplifier. I used to scrap them for the aluminum heatsink.

Last edited:
wow thanks for all the terrific input ! so to speak ,, really helpful ok so i should input a normal pre out signal from my av reciever or a pre amp. on taps 3 and 4 with the expensive relatively useless transformers in place.............excellent, as for what im doing with the amps i think they might drive a couple of 4 ohm subs quite nicely ! and very cheaply, the literature states they are designed for constant use .and the build quality is well ..i think solid ,,,would be an understatement i think my plan will work nicely ..i would love to go to the local swap meet or pawn shop and buy cool gear whenever i needed it but i dont live in north carolina anymore ! i now live in cancun and good gear is scarce to none..for hi fi stuff! im waiting on 6 sd 424 transistors to come in the mail and i will get them both going and let ya know what happens , these amps came out of a local disco and they werent used for any nautical purposes! and they only cost me about 60 bucks so what the heck!

by the way Bear these things are so nicely built .............like a sherman was...........that i just know there some neat stuff you should be able to do to them ..it looks like you been doing something and i dont think youre scrappin them out and using just the transformers.if anybody has any ideas on some wothwhile modifications on these amps i would really appreciate it!! by the way if youre gonna throw one away .dont! the 12 volt battery charger part of the amp is bulletproof and works dandy....................and you can listen to music..........maybe!.............cheers!

wow thanks for all the terrific input ! so to speak ,, really helpful ok so i should input a normal pre out signal from my av reciever or a pre amp. on taps 3 and 4 with the expensive relatively useless transformers in place.............excellent, as for what im doing with the amps i think they might drive a couple of 4 ohm subs quite nicely ! and very cheaply, the literature states they are designed for constant use .and the build quality is well ..i think solid ,,,would be an understatement i think my plan will work nicely ..i would love to go to the local swap meet or pawn shop and buy cool gear whenever i needed it but i dont live in north carolina anymore ! i now live in cancun and good gear is scarce to none..for hi fi stuff! im waiting on 6 sd 424 transistors to come in the mail and i will get them both going and let ya know what happens , these amps came out of a local disco and they werent used for any nautical purposes! and they only cost me about 60 bucks so what the heck!

well these amps have some words stamped above the battery taps that state-, 12 volt charge rate 2amperes...............what else could this .mean.i take it to mean that the battery backup usually 2 12 volt batteries are constantly charging so in the event of a power failure current is taken from the batteries. in a freshly charged state. maybe im wrong but that is what it looks like!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.