altec 1590E input questions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2012, 09:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I will buy all the boatanchor crap 1594A and 1594B you can get me.

For me, I have an app where I use some of the amp "differently purposed".

Not a particularly good amp as designed.

_-_-bear
Old 18th March 2012, 11:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You must be trying to use the 70 volt transformer. Some have tried to use the 70 volt transformers from both the 1590 and 1594. The power transformers are not of any value. If I run across some 1594's I'll let you know.
Old 19th March 2012, 03:00 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

no not the 70volt... and have to be A or B not later... do they all have a 70v secondary? I have forgotten now.

they can be dead as a doornail for all I care.

_-_-bear
Old 19th March 2012, 03:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

wow thanks for all the terrific input ! so to speak ,, really helpful ok so i should input a normal pre out signal from my av reciever or a pre amp. on taps 3 and 4 with the expensive relatively useless transformers in place.............excellent, as for what im doing with the amps i think they might drive a couple of 4 ohm subs quite nicely ! and very cheaply, the literature states they are designed for constant use .and the build quality is well ..i think solid ,,,would be an understatement i think my plan will work nicely ..i would love to go to the local swap meet or pawn shop and buy cool gear whenever i needed it but i dont live in north carolina anymore ! i now live in cancun and good gear is scarce to none..for hi fi stuff! im waiting on 6 sd 424 transistors to come in the mail and i will get them both going and let ya know what happens , these amps came out of a local disco and they werent used for any nautical purposes! and they only cost me about 60 bucks so what the heck!
Old 19th March 2012, 03:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

by the way Bear these things are so nicely built .............like a sherman was...........that i just know there some neat stuff you should be able to do to them ..it looks like you been doing something and i dont think youre scrappin them out and using just the transformers.if anybody has any ideas on some wothwhile modifications on these amps i would really appreciate it!! by the way if youre gonna throw one away .dont! the 12 volt battery charger part of the amp is bulletproof and works dandy....................and you can listen to music..........maybe!.............cheers!
Old 19th March 2012, 03:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

wow thanks for all the terrific input ! so to speak ,, really helpful ok so i should input a normal pre out signal from my av reciever or a pre amp. on taps 3 and 4 with the expensive relatively useless transformers in place.............excellent, as for what im doing with the amps i think they might drive a couple of 4 ohm subs quite nicely ! and very cheaply, the literature states they are designed for constant use .and the build quality is well ..i think solid ,,,would be an understatement i think my plan will work nicely ..i would love to go to the local swap meet or pawn shop and buy cool gear whenever i needed it but i dont live in north carolina anymore ! i now live in cancun and good gear is scarce to none..for hi fi stuff! im waiting on 6 sd 424 transistors to come in the mail and i will get them both going and let ya know what happens , these amps came out of a local disco and they werent used for any nautical purposes! and they only cost me about 60 bucks so what the heck!
Old 19th March 2012, 11:11 AM   #17
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"the 12 volt battery charger part of the amp "

Battery supply required is 24V~28V, not 12V. It does not charge the external battery, although you could modify it to do so.

Raw supply is 31V DC.

Last edited by djk; 19th March 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post

Battery supply required is 24V~28V, not 12V. It does not charge the external battery, although you could modify it to do so.

Raw supply is 31V DC.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

well these amps have some words stamped above the battery taps that state-, 12 volt charge rate 2amperes...............what else could this .mean.i take it to mean that the battery backup usually 2 12 volt batteries are constantly charging so in the event of a power failure current is taken from the batteries. in a freshly charged state. maybe im wrong but that is what it looks like!
Old 19th March 2012, 05:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post

Raw supply is 31V DC.

Hide this!Advertise here!