LME49811 + 2SK1058/2SJ162

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So let me get this right - 811 with external driver will have better performance than 830 with internal matched drivers?

Just asking....not being sarcastic.

You can probably get away with the 811 driving a single output pair. It can do up to 7mA. I have a similar app and I'm using the 830.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Dude. Just build them according to the application notes. You won't be disappointed.
My LME49811 + STD03 amp sounds better than the Parasound A23 it was replacing. And the Parasound is a damn good amp.

Yeah, there might be a mathematical difference in THD between the LME49811 and '830, but the difference in slew rate is much more likely to be audible than the difference in THD. If you want to use FETs in the output, use the driver designed for FETs.

~Tom

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
So let me get this right - 811 with external driver will have better performance than 830 with internal matched drivers?

Just asking....not being sarcastic.

You can probably get away with the 811 driving a single output pair. It can do up to 7mA. I have a similar app and I'm using the 830.

Yes, the external drivers can be biased to higher current to overcome the gate capacitances of the fets. Not only will THD be better but the speed too.

Im not advocating one opamp for the other as in both cases I would probably use external drivers on both versions. If I remember correctly in one of the application notes National shows speed and THD tests done with external driver and no driver, its no surprise the driver type is superior.

Where's SpittinLama when you need him? There's a chart of THD% vs bias current in the LME49830 data sheet. Best advice I can give is that the lateral MOSFETs don't need thermal compensation which is a big design simplification, secondly -- if you tweak the values of the gate stoppers on the MOSFETs you can reduce the THD% (which is already quite good.) This is illustrated in AN-1645. There was going to be another paper/application note on the compensation techniques for this series of drivers, but National decided to channel their resources toward solar power/alternative energy chips before that bubble blew up, and they got swallowed by Texas Instruments in the interim.

The base to base, or gate to gate, bias voltage is not the same as the output swing.

I know Andrew; I guess that homemodder should look at bias voltages required for the output transistors. That has not so much to do with voltage swing of the driver. Important though is output current of the driver (is the driver capable of driving the input capacitance of the output device, where fets generally show higher input capacitance than BJT's - hence the LME49830 with it's much higher output current meant to drive fets).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.