Addind a pre out to receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm trying to feed my AV component through my Yamaha AV amp into a Gainclone. I would also like to use the tuner. My cd feeds directly into my GC which has a source switch. There is no pre-out on the Yamaha, only a CDR out(sim to tape?) The problem is it doesn't go through the volume control so I have to adjust volume on the Gainclone manually. Is there a way to add a pre out and esentially use the receiver as a preamp, and if so where in the circuit (theoretically) would I tie in. I'm thinking just after the volume knob. Also, will I run into impedence problems etc. Has anyone done this before?

Any and all input welcome.

David

The headphone jack on most receivers is just a 330 ohm resistor off the main power amp. It is intended to drive low impedance headphones.

Without a low impedance load, no attenuation will occur.

Terminate the headphone jack with 33 ohms and you should be fine.

The temination resistors could be built in to the cable plug, or in the CG chassis.

djk said:
The headphone jack on most receivers is just a 330 ohm resistor off the main power amp. It is intended to drive low impedance headphones.

Without a low impedance load, no attenuation will occur.

Terminate the headphone jack with 33 ohms and you should be fine.

The temination resistors could be built in to the cable plug, or in the CG chassis.

Thanks all simpler than I thought Iwas going to be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.