Randy Slone Zus Audio Totem-Pole Build needs 12V trigger - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
tjencks is offline tjencks  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes. The speaker protection circuit board is right next to the amplifier board near the front of the chassis. I decided not to use the Seal AUX board but instead went with the Aussie Amplifiers LSP-1. Had to make that choice as there wasn't enough room in my case for the Seal AUX so unfortunately I'm not taking advantage of the amps built in stability detection circuit.

DC offset right now is at .003 VDC

-TJ
Old 13th March 2012, 07:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

This is the offset on the faulty amp ?

How do the output resistor voltage drops compare with the good one ?
Old 13th March 2012, 08:10 PM   #13
tjencks is offline tjencks  United States
diyAudio Member

nope sorry this is a working one. I actually found the cause of my issue. And its a very stupid one ;-)

My speaker + binding post was in contact with the case which of course is in contact with ground. This is why things weren't working.

I do have one module I think that does have legitimate issues but I haven't started looking at that yet.

Sorry for the confusion Epicyclic.

-TJ
Old 13th March 2012, 10:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

TJ,

I built and have 18 totem-pole amps built from scratch on PCB's I purchased from Randy before he unfortunately passed away. They are in my home theater system.

I put 12 volt triggers in all the amps simply by using a 12 volt dc coil relay, all the amp triggers are in parallel plus some other equipment triggers. Since the current draw with so many relays would almost certainly exceed the current capacity of most 12 volt trigger outputs I built a simple 12 volt dc power supply, the trigger output from my surround sound processor turns on my ancilliary 12 volt supply which in turn triggers the amps. All the amps have a Randy Sloan design antisurge circuit before the transformers, the current from 18KVA of transformer would be problematic otherwise. I also use Randy's DC/thermal protection circuit. I have a switch across the trigger relay contacts so I can If I wish turn on an amplifier manually.

I agree they are a very nice sounding amplifier.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi OldMike2;

I was hoping you could turn on your PM's, so I could get in touch. I bought and stuffed boards for a Totem Pole V1 amp (also have the soft start and DCR boards stuffed and ready to go), but have not installed the MOSFET's and wired everything together. Unfortunately, since I bought these about 6 years ago, I've misplaced the build/wiring instructions.

I've reached out to Lede Audio in Australia, but I'm not sure if they are still active or not...

Anyway, if you do see this message, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you could provide me with some assistance.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMike2 View Post
TJ,

I built and have 18 totem-pole amps built from scratch on PCB's I purchased from Randy before he unfortunately passed away. They are in my home theater system.

I put 12 volt triggers in all the amps simply by using a 12 volt dc coil relay, all the amp triggers are in parallel plus some other equipment triggers. Since the current draw with so many relays would almost certainly exceed the current capacity of most 12 volt trigger outputs I built a simple 12 volt dc power supply, the trigger output from my surround sound processor turns on my ancilliary 12 volt supply which in turn triggers the amps. All the amps have a Randy Sloan design antisurge circuit before the transformers, the current from 18KVA of transformer would be problematic otherwise. I also use Randy's DC/thermal protection circuit. I have a switch across the trigger relay contacts so I can If I wish turn on an amplifier manually.

I agree they are a very nice sounding amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!