Randy Slone Zus Audio Totem-Pole Build needs 12V trigger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow DIYers,

I have just completed many years and a lot of effort / mistakes my first DIY build that actually works. I purchased 5 kits of Totem-Pole amps from David at Lede audio and have gotten 3 working so far.

This was my first DIY amp project and has been a tremendous learning experience. I will post pics if folks are interested.

Anyway I am now in search of a circuit to implement a 12V trigger within each amp so that when I switch on my Preamp / Processor each of my totem-pole amps will switch on after some elected delay.

Does anyone have a circuit they could share which would accomplish this functionality?

Pic of Totem-Pole Amps

Hey All,

So for those of you who'd like to get a look at my build here is an example. I did 5 of these unfortunately only two are working at the moment which I will get into on another post.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117312262594807690469/Ledeaudio?authuser=0&feat=directlink

So for the curious the parts I used for the power supply are as follows:

1. Custom PCB which I had made in 4 oz copper from Epec Tech. BTW I've got a large back stock of these if others are interested.

2. Toroid is a Toroid Tech custom 500VA with 138VAC primary and 56VAC Secondary's which work out to around 49VAC at 120VAC in. So after rectification it works out to about 67V rails.

3. Caps are Panasonic 6800uF T-HA types. Snubbers are WIMA .1uF pulse caps. The square looking caps on the end there are Mundorf RXF in Oil 5.6uF.

4. Inductors are 14AWG copper foil 2.2mH Erse.

5. Dual Bridge rectification is handled by two IXYS FBS 10-06 SC.

6. Wiring is a mix of Cardas chassis wire, Vampire Copper cast and just plane old stuff from home depot for grounding.

7. RCA jack is Vampire as well as the binding posts. The pure copper types.

This is my first project so I'm sure there may be a lot to criticize here so please be kind folks as I'm a noob. I have learned quite a bit but I realize how much more knowledge is required to be really effective at this hobby.

-TJ

Amp failure

Alright so I mentioned that I've got 5 of these amps and only two are working currently. Another two are on hold cause one amp module has a defective part some place and doesn't measure right or pass the build checks that Ledeaudio provides for having a working amp.

However that leaves just one that was working until last night. All of a sudden the gain dropped to almost nothing and the sound is super scratchy and messed up. I have a feeling that one of my L-MOS devices died. These are the 2JS162 and 2KS1058 types.

If anyone can provide feedback on what a good strategy would be to track down and replace a defective MOSFET that would be most helpful. Would it be as simple as taking a working unit and compare voltages on each leg of each device?

Many of you may want a schematic and unfortunately I don't believe I can post one here as the amp design is copy write to Zus audio unless Russ says its alright. But is someone is willing to help me out I believe I can share the info directly via PM.

Best Regards,
TJ

I have seen the Opti-MOS schematic available on the web but not the Totem-Pole. If Rus says its alright I will post up the Totem-Pole schematic. But yes I believe that both the opti and totem-pole are copyright to Zus Audio. Just don't want to step on any toes.

-TJ

If anyone can provide feedback on what a good strategy would be to track down and replace a defective MOSFET that would be most helpful. Would it be as simple as taking a working unit and compare voltages on each leg of each device?

TJ[/QUOTE]

Checking the voltage drop across all output resistors (as in quiescent current setting ) and comparing with the good one would be a good place to start . Plus comparing the DC offset voltage .

Yes. The speaker protection circuit board is right next to the amplifier board near the front of the chassis. I decided not to use the Seal AUX board but instead went with the Aussie Amplifiers LSP-1. Had to make that choice as there wasn't enough room in my case for the Seal AUX so unfortunately I'm not taking advantage of the amps built in stability detection circuit.

DC offset right now is at .003 VDC

-TJ

nope sorry this is a working one. I actually found the cause of my issue. And its a very stupid one ;-)

My speaker + binding post was in contact with the case which of course is in contact with ground. This is why things weren't working.

I do have one module I think that does have legitimate issues but I haven't started looking at that yet.

Sorry for the confusion Epicyclic.

-TJ

TJ,

I built and have 18 totem-pole amps built from scratch on PCB's I purchased from Randy before he unfortunately passed away. They are in my home theater system.

I put 12 volt triggers in all the amps simply by using a 12 volt dc coil relay, all the amp triggers are in parallel plus some other equipment triggers. Since the current draw with so many relays would almost certainly exceed the current capacity of most 12 volt trigger outputs I built a simple 12 volt dc power supply, the trigger output from my surround sound processor turns on my ancilliary 12 volt supply which in turn triggers the amps. All the amps have a Randy Sloan design antisurge circuit before the transformers, the current from 18KVA of transformer would be problematic otherwise. I also use Randy's DC/thermal protection circuit. I have a switch across the trigger relay contacts so I can If I wish turn on an amplifier manually.

I agree they are a very nice sounding amplifier.

Hi OldMike2;

I was hoping you could turn on your PM's, so I could get in touch. I bought and stuffed boards for a Totem Pole V1 amp (also have the soft start and DCR boards stuffed and ready to go), but have not installed the MOSFET's and wired everything together. Unfortunately, since I bought these about 6 years ago, I've misplaced the build/wiring instructions.

I've reached out to Lede Audio in Australia, but I'm not sure if they are still active or not...

Anyway, if you do see this message, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you could provide me with some assistance.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

TJ,

I built and have 18 totem-pole amps built from scratch on PCB's I purchased from Randy before he unfortunately passed away. They are in my home theater system.

I put 12 volt triggers in all the amps simply by using a 12 volt dc coil relay, all the amp triggers are in parallel plus some other equipment triggers. Since the current draw with so many relays would almost certainly exceed the current capacity of most 12 volt trigger outputs I built a simple 12 volt dc power supply, the trigger output from my surround sound processor turns on my ancilliary 12 volt supply which in turn triggers the amps. All the amps have a Randy Sloan design antisurge circuit before the transformers, the current from 18KVA of transformer would be problematic otherwise. I also use Randy's DC/thermal protection circuit. I have a switch across the trigger relay contacts so I can If I wish turn on an amplifier manually.

I agree they are a very nice sounding amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.