Optonica SM-1515 Meter Lamps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Louie7 is offline Louie7  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Optonica SM-1515 Meter Lamps

HOwdee...

I'm happy because I just bought this neato Optonica SM1515 integrated amp.

But I'm unhappy because the meter lamps were blown and replaced by someone who put 12V fuse lamps in their place...which, of course are incorrect and won't illuminate.

So... now I have the distinct pleasure of trying to figure out what the original lamp values were. I have the service manual, which specifies the part number but not the value.

I have done my homework and what I do know is that they are 6.3vdc bulbs....but the problem is... I need the amperage.

6.3V @ ??mA

Thanks, yawl!
Old 5th March 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Louie- Its probally not very critical. I would go get some 6..3V lamps and install them. If the current avaiable is enough the lamps will light. At the same time you can measure the amount of current drawn. I would check a major parts supply like DigiKey, or for that matter your local hardware store. My local Ace Hardware has a selection of lamps. Look for lamps that are intended for flashligh use. The current required is likely to be small.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechief View Post
Louie- Its probally not very critical. I would go get some 6..3V lamps and install them. If the current avaiable is enough the lamps will light. At the same time you can measure the amount of current drawn. I would check a major parts supply like DigiKey, or for that matter your local hardware store. My local Ace Hardware has a selection of lamps. Look for lamps that are intended for flashligh use. The current required is likely to be small.
Thanks.... yes, well.... I tried a 6v flashlight bulb and the amp would not light it. A 9V battery did light it, alot, and two AA batteries lit it up about half way.

But the amp would not make it glow at all. I even measured at the bulb while it was connected to the amp and the tester said 6V, just like without the bulb, but no glow.

mystery

Last edited by Louie7; 5th March 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Usually the lamps have their own winding on the transformer, and their own fuse. Normally it will be rated at just above the total value of the lamps. For example, a 250mA fuse for two 100mA bulbs. The fuse might even be blown, in your case, if you aren't getting any light at all.
Old 6th March 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok... but, there IS 6 volts being delivered to the wires that lead to the lamps, so if the lamps DO have their own fuse, it's certainly not blown, unless I'm misreading things completely...but thanks for the theory concerning the fuse and the Xformer. I gather from what you say, that provided there is a fuse, I can simply divide the fuse value by 2 (the number of bulbs) and get the appromimate amperage of a single bulb. I hope that works... thanks!

Last edited by Louie7; 6th March 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 07:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok...thanks again to Coconuts 500 (is that a racetrack in Hawaii??) Jk...

I think we're getting somewhere now. Take a look at this...from the circuit diagram of the Optonica SM-1515 Service Manual.

Location F801, looks like this -o~o-..., shows a fuse spec of 315mAT !! Hurray!

Not sure what the T stands for, but until I hear otherwise, I'm calculating that 315 divided by 2 equals 157.5mA per bulb.

And, because the total fuse value is slightly more than the combined bulb values, I'm guessing the original bulbs to have been something like 6.3v @ 150mA.....

Right ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Louie7; 6th March 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sounds about right. Also you could replace the bulbs with some nice bright LED's You would need a series resistor in the low ohms value. Led's typically run about 1.2 to 1.7 V.

"RadioShack 4609703 5mm High-Brightness White LED (2-Pack)
$2 online, $2 nearby
Old 6th March 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

firecheif thanks...I may do that... but first....

New heartaches. I attached a nice new working #47 lamp bulb (6.3v 150mA) to the lamp leads reading 6.3v strong... and NOTHING. My DMM reads 6v at the wires and my 9v battery lights the bulb. But no go.

So..... I started seeing about the fuses and discovered that the leads do not run to the fuse as illustrated in the diagram in the service manual.

My mistake for using a service manual for the SM-1515H. I have an SM-1515.
I assumed, incorrectly, that the wiring for the lamps would be so simple as to not be any different between these to models. Wrong.

So, I started looking at the part number.

Rlmpm0062Afzz

now, if I'm reading this correctly, the lmp represents 'lamp', m represents 'miniature' and the 006 stands for 6V...so, maybe the 2A stands for 2amps...no idea what the fzz is.

Would anyone concure with this ?
2 amps is pretty beafy for a dial lamp, don't ya think ?

On the other hand, the existing fuse in my amp that is where the 'other' amps lamps connect to is a 4a fuse. So that sort of follows..since two 2a bulbs would equal that fuse. But as close as I can tell, that 4A fuse is the main power fuse as it connect directly to the AC outlets.

Sorry for all the confusion. There doesn't seem to be an SM-1515 service manual online. Just the SM-1515H....
Old 7th March 2012, 12:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I zoomed over to RShack and snagged the LED pack you recommended. The package specs tham at 25mA and 3.3 to 3.6 volts..

I have lots of R's laying around here.... what value would you recommend ?

Anyone
Old 7th March 2012, 01:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

well 25 milliamps = .025 amps so ohms law is r=e/I or 150 ohms. If you measure the 6.3volts is it DC? if so you might have to try reversing the polarity, but Ill bet its AC so it won't matter.

Hide this!Advertise here!