TA-200W replacement (Kenwood KR-9600) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TA-200W replacement (Kenwood KR-9600)

I finally got around to fixing a friend's Kenwood - I haven't done a power amp project since college (guess how many years ago !). It turned out ok. I'll be glad to supply details if anyone else needs one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TA-200H.jpg (559.8 KB, 493 views)
Old 4th March 2012, 04:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very clever!
Old 4th March 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
latala is offline latala  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

yes lets have the details and schematic
regards Trev
Old 6th March 2012, 02:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's the schematic - very simple. Outputs are darlingtons, the bias diodes are included in the package. Rbias could be 200 ohm trimpot, typically ends up in 10-30 ohm range. The outputs are mounted on the back of the board against the heatsink. The 330pf caps probably compensate for the airwiring. And I know the circuit is a little over-protected.
Prototype 1 used the SAP15 transistors which include the emitter resistors - but the SAPs are out of production. Prototype 2 used parallel pairs of STDs, but stability, or rather docility, was an issue - probably due to wiring.
Funny, it's been 40 years since I've done any power amp work (other than repairs) and very little has changed.
Even funnier, the pad that I used to jot down the rough schematic is the same one I used in college - 40 years ago !
I've included a schematic of the KR-9600 output board, but it's a bit hazy. Anyway, pins 1 & 10 are power, pins 3 & 8 are drive, 5 is output, 6 is ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TA-200W(R).jpg (198.1 KB, 408 views)
File Type: gif KR-9600-PA.gif (157.7 KB, 388 views)
Old 6th March 2012, 12:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's a (maybe) better Kenwood schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: gif KR-9600 PA.gif (37.6 KB, 361 views)
Old 1st June 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

What do pins 4 and 7 do in the original chip?

Is your circuit based on what was originally in the 200W chip?
Or did you design this from scratch?

Thank you
Old 30th November 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhaynes View Post
Here's a (maybe) better Kenwood schematic.
Hi alhaynes, your TA-200W replacement looks interesting. I am working on one I just bought which does not yet have bad outputs but it's good to know you have a cure.

There is no DC zero adjustment on the original power amp and my unit is running 150mV on L and 160mV on R. I'm thinking that is a little too high. Do you have any thoughts on curing that, and what were you able to achieve on your circuit?

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Al, what are the transistors and diodes that show in your schematic that are external to the STD transistors?
Old 8th September 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Alhaynes its very intresting your scematic of TA-200W can you please give me a component list what the components are?
Old 25th June 2014, 02:34 AM   #10
vintess is offline vintess  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Did anyone hear back from alhaynes...?

Wondering if anyone heard back a reply to their inquiries/posts from alhaynes??? I know that this is an old thread, but I would venture to say to there are a few KR9600's out there. Like anything electronic, they aren't going to last forever! And, judging from what I have heard, those power paks do take a licking during startups...

I have a Kenwood KR9600 (original owner) that I am currently using as a main amp (bypassing the pre section) in my main hifi system. I am close to finishing up a Nelson Pass clone F5 Turbo DIY project that will replace the Kenwood, at least temporarily.

The aging Kenwood needs some phono amp section work. I plan on going in and tinkering to see what is possibly wrong (no output on one channel when using phono section; all other preamp sections work great). I figure since I have it apart, I might as well rebuild it with modern caps/resistors, etc. I would especially be interested in a BOM for the replacement/rebuild.

It would be great to have further insight into the Darlington power paks which, as I understand it, are no longer available.

Any guidance from more experienced Darlington array/Kenwood gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by vintess; 25th June 2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typos/clarification

Hide this!Advertise here!