DC filter

Simple circuit

Hi,
Attached a very simple circuit that is working since 29 years with a 1k5 Watt transformer.....(NOT a toroid BTW!) Of course this is a AC relay. :idea:

Attachments

• relaygif.gif
    relaygif.gif
    88.7 KB · Views: 4,674
Eva said:

I calculated 1.000uF for 200W maximum output @230V input [I tested a 750VA toroid but I had nothing at hand to dissipate more than 200W]. For higher power output it would be also a good idea to use diodes rated at a higher current than 1N4007 since they will have to pass all the load current in case of capacitor failure or excessive voltage swing

Hi Eva,

Just a question, did you calculate 200watts for two 1000uF caps back to back? How did you calculate this? I looked at average current, multiplicated by three and compared to the ripple current possible. This sort of fits but not exactly.

William

Have been listening to DC and amp buzzing all night and had enough :mad:
Something has to be done NOW!
Found 4pcs Rifa PEH 169PO5100Q.
10.000uF, 100V laying around.
Is this enough to stop the DC or do I HAVE TO use diodes too?
As I have two different lines (balanced 230V as we have it in Norway and Albania) I wonder if these 4 caps would be enough for both lines?
And how should I connect them?
Are the polarty important?

How much capacitance you need is determined by the primary current and diodes are good as transient protection.

You have to put these caps i series and one wire is enough. I t has nothing to do with the absence of "neutral". If you as I or Lars Clausen have done it will work in 99% of the cases.

The caps you have got is extreme overkill (10 or 25 volt rating is needed) but will do a splendid job.

By my listening experiences with serial condenser, in this case little bit " die " dynamic, which is probably caused by auxiliary impedance of this circuit. Much more better solution is using of " overkill " insulating transformer, which must be located in other room, 'cos in this case is humming too ;) . Very elegant solution have Dieter Burmester, but it is patented ( I forgot number of this patent ).