dc filter - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2013, 09:48 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Ideally you should measure no DC across the bridge. If you do, and if its below around 1.3 volts dc then the device is stopping that DC passing to the transformer. If its 1.3v or slightly more then it means there is more DC present than the filter can stop (unlikely).
I measure right now playing it low volume playing music....

i see no DC voltage just 00.00 on the multimeter....

Do i need this filter? being 00.00v on DC?

Think i can live without it? Or since it's made i can leave conected to the mains to the speaker and forget about it?
Old 19th September 2013, 06:19 AM   #362
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You probably don't need it tbh. DC on the mains seems to affect large toroidal transformers mainly. If you regularly see no DC across the caps then its not really needed.

This explains it all in detail,
Mains DC and Transformers
Old 19th September 2013, 07:33 AM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
The box is safe enough if its all plastic.
Sure, no argument if that PVC box is in free air, it's as safe as any domestic wiring but I was actually concerned with the speaker box. I've been shown (couldn't economically repair) a couple of pairs of these popular, inexpensive, powered monitors and they were burned out internally. Luckily, no one was injured, but it seemed to me that plastic material, either damping or wrapping had sagged onto the hot electronics and eventually caused ignition. - Don't like 'em much after that.
Old 19th September 2013, 07:46 AM   #364
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ah, you mean the whole caboodle. It does sound a bit of a hazard from what you say. I've never seen or seen in one tbh
Old 19th September 2013, 10:43 AM   #365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Sure, no argument if that PVC box is in free air, it's as safe as any domestic wiring but I was actually concerned with the speaker box. I've been shown (couldn't economically repair) a couple of pairs of these popular, inexpensive, powered monitors and they were burned out internally. Luckily, no one was injured, but it seemed to me that plastic material, either damping or wrapping had sagged onto the hot electronics and eventually caused ignition. - Don't like 'em much after that.
Samson is not exactly inexpensive.... a lot of pro's use their stuff!
Compared to Mackie they are half the price, but the sound is good enough for me as the power they have.

When i play loud music, i mean Gig loud music on my house after 30minutes i always go check the cooler of the back of the speaker and it's barely warm.... i have that concern about it!

Now with the varnish on the transformers i will be super atented to that even more.... let's see... Hummm is still present but not that loud to concern... still a problem but i think my wife now can live whit it... and if "they" are happy it sure is down a lot!

Next stage will be the mu-metal or ultraperm around the transformer...

does anyone know if i can just glue the ultraperm foil to the transformer? Or should build a case of plastic around the transformer wrapeed then with the ultraperm or mu-metal foil?

Another concern... is wrapping the speaker box were the board sits with a material that will not get magnettization from the woofer to the electrics? Should i do that to? Or not needed for noise rejection and hum concerns...? maybe alluminum tape? is alluminum tape condutctive?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by targeting; 19th September 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!