Pre amp for recording drums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am recording some drums for a rough band demo. We are on a tight budget.

I have a sound card which has 4 mono inputs. As they are un-powered I need pre amps to each channel.

The best thing would be a mixing desk with powered channels and at least 4in/4out.

I have 4 channel desk but unfortunately it only has speaker outputs or a 2 channel stero left right rca output.

I need a powered output from each channel.

I think it may be possible to do without a desk and just use pre amps and use the computer software to set the levels. Im using 4 mic's :2 x overhead condenser's, 1 x sm58 on the snare/hi hat, and 1 x kick mic.

I built the phantom power condenser mic's myself using a well known circuit. That has given me a taste for building things.

Are there any popular fairly easy to build/cheap circuits for pre amps which are suitable for home recording?

Cheers.

Just use the desk's preamp for the drums and plug the rest in direct if you are pressed for time.
(Pan to the left or right, use that rca converted to 1/8" mono.)

Or wait for a preamp recommendation because we all would rather build something. :)

Iv been using the desk as you suggested and then taking a line out into the sound card which has been fine up to know but I want to record drum mic on its own separate track.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.