Depletion MOSFET as gain device (not CCS) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 9 of these Supertex DN2540 devices that I bought for making constant current laser diode drivers. They work great for that purpose, but now I have these left over.

I see on the data sheet that they cite 'Linear amplifiers' as a recommended application. Doing some initial searching, I only find references to them being used as a CCS load element.

Is there an amplifier topology that makes use of these as the gain element? Or would all of the relevant topologies be better covered by JFETs ?

They are just like any other MOSFET except that their threshold voltage is negative rather than positive. Therefore, you can use them as a common source amplifier or a source follower or in any other circuit where you would use a MOSFET.

Huh? No. You are thinking of N-channel versus P-channel enhancement-mode MOSFETs, only.

Depletion-mode MOSFETs are fully "ON" when the gate-source voltage is zero. Applying a negative Vgs (for an N-channel device) tends to turn the device off.

They are like a "normally-closed (ON) switch", always conducting unless a non-zero Vgs is applied.

The much-more-common enhancement-mode MOSFETs are like a "normally-open (OFF) switch", and don't conduct unless a proper Vgs is applied (depends on threshold and whether device is n-type or p-type).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET#Depletion-mode_MOSFETs

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.