PCB eyelet copper trace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was desoldering some large Capacitors, a piece of 3/4 circular copper trace pulled out of the eyelet, it was stuck to the Capacitor prong. The Aluminium eyelet appears to be intact, probably some what insulated by solder.

I have now resoldered a Capacitor there, hoping for the best.

The power supply pcb that it is from, has not been tested running power through it, what is the best way to diagnose if the copper trace/eyelet is functioning properly.

I have a digital multi meter, but no other tools for testing. Transformer is on the way, but I was not planning on testing and powering it up for the first time myself, first build.

I have tested the capacitor and recieve no beeping, but does that apply to the trace/eyelet?

Last edited:
PCBs made using a plating process usually have plated holes that connect the top side copper to the bottom trace. Sometimes when you heat things and tug on them the plated hole, or via, pulls out of the PCB. Measure with Ohmmeter to check for the connection after re-soldering.

If you feel unsure about the connection, another alternative is to drill out the hole a bit and use a copper or brass eyelet to take the place of the plated through hole. This approach is used all the time in single sided boards for components that need some more retention strength, such as large snap-in caps. I use it myself on single-sided boards where I need to do top-side soldering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.