My Headphone amp series resistor on output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built myself an headphone amp about a year ago. It uses one half of a jrc4556 opamp per side(L/R), for the output. Its a single supply design with 1000uf output coupling caps:D
I recently changed the design by taking out the two 100ohm resistors in series with the outputs. I use a 6m headphone cable extension with it.
My question is, is it ok to run it without those resistors? I have never had any problem with oscillations since taking them out.
I want to keep the output z low!!!

No output resistors on the JRC4556/NJM4556 are OK.

The O2 headphone amplifier uses NJM4556 chips as the output with 1 ohm output resistors. Even at that the 1R resistors were needed for balance since the amp uses both halves of the chip in parallel per channel (two chips total). With just one half of the chip per channel, like yours, the amp probably would have had no output resistor at all. That amplifier has been measured on good equipment, with capacitive cable loads, and the published results are very good.

One of the keys is the chip apparently has current limiting. The data sheet does not say it explicitly, but the data sheet graphs show it. So the output resistor isn't needed to protect against TRS plug shorting. The data sheet doesn't give a load capacitance graph, but with 70mA per half capability it seems to be fairly stable.

An interesting read on the benefits of low output impedance for head amps:

The "0-Ohm" Headphone Amplifier: The Sonic Advantages of Low-Impedance Headphone Amplifiers | Benchmark Interaction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.