2SD427 transistor for Rotel RA-812, need info please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, I am currently repairing an old Rotel RA-812 and have struck a problem (well, hopefully not a problem). Having tested it etc, I discovered one channel had 37 Volts or so on one of its outputs, which is not good.
I traced the problem to the driver transistors, one of which was open circuit and the other was fused closed circuit. But then I still had DC on the output, to the tune of 13 Volts. After some more prodding I discovered one of the output transistors had no emitter connection and had a resistance of 100 Ohms between the collector and base. Something strange about the design is that it uses two of same transistor per side, rather than a complimentary NPN/PNP pair.

Now here is my problem, the output transistor is a 2SD427 and none of the suppliers here stock it, the best they can do is a couple of weeks wait at a cost of $35 which I am not too thrilled with. Can I use a 2N3055 in its place? Obviously if using a different transistor then it would be best to replace both the transistors in the channel, or even the amp which is not a problem for me as the 2N3055 is readily available and very cheap. Any info or help as to whether it will work satisfactorily would be great. A bit of a long story for a simple question, but hopefully it was interesting :)

I'm looking forward to hearing this amp, as inside its built like a tank and has lasted well with just a couple of niggles to sort out. Has anyone had any experience with this amp?

MJ21194 would probably be your best bet for output transistors. If you have one blown, you should replace both.

Using all NPN is not that strange - quasi complimentary output stages were very common in those days, as PNP devices were not as good and usually a lot more expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.