How noisy is your outlet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How noisy is your outlet?

it is unbelievable how noisy are the outlets. I did a test in my outlets and they are "ALL" noisy. after using an ac filter from Monster power, almost all the RF noise went away.Too bad most of us just pay attention just to our amp projects and not to the AC source. here is my toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (130.1 KB, 237 views)
Old 20th February 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Neat device, I assume all outlets have a little noise.

My personal view is the amp ends at the power cord. I am not interested in a device that needs filtering before the plug.

I want my amp(s) to sound good wherever they are plugged in.

How much of that noise do you think gets through a well designed power supply?, or are you implying the noise is getting in through the ground?
Old 20th February 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have 1840 watts of pure 50HZ noise on my outlet
Old 20th February 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ground is ground to 50/60Hz, but it isn't at RF with typical domestic wiring. Nowhere near it so I don't think it can be relied on for anything other than safety issues.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Much of the higher frequency noise can be coming from the SMPS's and digital components in your hi-fi system.
Your equipment's power, interconnect & speaker cables all act as RFI antennas. Good circuit design should stop the RFI at it's entrance points.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:25 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Ground is almost meaningless for RF anyway. A ground wire acts as an antenna. We might do better to think more in terms of equipotential rather than ground, but even that is a slippery concept when RF is about.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Much of the higher frequency noise can be coming from the SMPS's and digital components in your hi-fi system.
Your equipment's power, interconnect & speaker cables all act as RFI antennas. Good circuit design should stop the RFI at it's entrance points.
I measured all outlets making sure "NOTHING" was plug into "ALL" outlets in whole apt, not even a lamp. and there were some that were worse than others. for example in my kitchen there was one that I could listened to a radio station clearly. there were some with just loud static noise.
yes, some good circuit can stop RFI.
Old 21st February 2012, 01:23 AM   #8
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

what does the number mean? Is it a figure of merit?

mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
it is unbelievable how noisy are the outlets. I did a test in my outlets and they are "ALL" noisy. after using an ac filter from Monster power, almost all the RF noise went away.Too bad most of us just pay attention just to our amp projects and not to the AC source. here is my toy.
Old 21st February 2012, 01:31 AM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Noise comes right through even traditional e-core linear supplies. I was amazed how much when I went to measure the ringing of my new rectifier. The noise was greater than the rectifier ringing. You need filtering if you are trying for high fidelity. Very few designers take care of inside the box. They should, but that is the way it is.
Old 21st February 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have to rewire my house it is so noisy as the wires were put in around 1951. I have done a few rooms so far, but still have the living room to do as well as the office, so I think you are all very lucky.

How noisy? I think the Nutech meter up there would shake apart from all the oscillations...

Hide this!Advertise here!