Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default aragon 4004 mk2 schematic needed

hello all- i have an aragon 4004mk2 that suffered a spike when the negative power supply rail on my preamp failed. 1 channel popped a fuse and i found a couple of driver transistors shorted and a shorted current regulating diode.
it looks like i need a schematic to proceed further.
if anyone out there can help, i would be most appreciative.

regards, leapingknome
Old 20th February 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Check
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aragon 4004 2004.pdf (76.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 20th February 2012, 09:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrik View Post
Check
I only very briefly examined the schematic, but I did note an interesting design decision. The inclusion of 680pF capacitors C2 and C12 seems odd, as they are located inside the error correction loop and will shunt high-frequency currents to outside the loop. The input stage error amplifier will attempt to correct for the lost loop current, decreasing high-frequency feedback and, I should think, increasing high-frequency distortion. I would think that Cdom caps., C3 and C13, should be sufficient for stability, unless they are undersized. Perhaps, the designer felt it simply sounded better this way.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 20th February 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thank you for the info.
regards, leapingknome
Old 17th February 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a 4004 MK I that has a hum in both channels but only when connected to ANY preamp via the RCA inputs. If the amp is powered on and connected to speakers and not connected to a preamp or source, no hum. If the amp is then connected to ANY preamp including a 100% dc ipod nano touch as a source, both channels have a clearly audible hum. Sounds like 60 hz. I have tried 3 different preamps all with the same result.

Any ideas? The amp still plays and sounds great, just hums with a pre or source connected. Also the toroids do have an audible buzz when powered on. i have tried a DC blocker with no results. This amp ran fine in a friends rig for years with no hum from the speakers even though the toroids have always had a low buzz. Now in my rig it hums. Both channels.

Hide this!Advertise here!