Floating Transformer Technology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone that knows how Floating Transformer Technology "FTT" works?

This made me wonder how it worked!
"The AW180M from Electrocompaniet incorporates such refined features as: FTT (Floating Transformer Technology) power supply, capable of delivering twice the current of a conventional power supply"

I tried to find some information about it and the only thing I found was Flat Transformer Technology, intersesting but not what I was looking for.

http://www.flattransformer.com/

/Magnus

From what I have been reading, the trick may be one of the following configurations (taken into considerations that electric current can't just "float", and that the words "floating transformer" is just a fancy name.....

A transformer with no center GND and with to bridged amplifier circuits both resting on half the supply voltage. E.g. if supply voltage is 60V, both the amplifier outputs rests at 30V

You have one "high" voltage transformer (e.g. +/- 60V) and amplifier circuit with GND connection, and another smaller one
(+/-10V also with amplifier circuit) which central GND is connected to the output of larger amplifier circuit.
Then you make a cheap high power amplifier, and have the small high quality amplifier to correct all errors from the big amplifier.

Same amplifiers as above, but the large amp is connected speaker GND, while the small (inverted) amp is connected to speaker "+" to correct errors from the big amp......

I'm working on the model No. 2 at the moment

OK thanks,

I think I understand, some times a bit slow in the morning.
Would you mind share a little drawing so I could see it in front of me and in what way would that double the current in No 2 and 3?

So what is the biggest problems you have to solve with this design No 2?

/Magnus

Here is the basic of no. 2 (very simplified):
The first PSU is +/-60 VDC with reference to GND.
The output of the first amplifier is connected to the GND center tap on PSU 2, which supply +/-10 VDC to the second amplifier.

Theori:
Let a cheap Class B amplifier do the high voltage amplification (+/-60 VDC), and then have a High End Class A running at only +/-10 VDC to correct the signal errors from the first amp. and provide the final output.

My problem sofare has been to find a clean reference signal to the feedback of amplifier two.....

Mayby I had gone "blind" on this particular circuit, and doesn't see the obvious solution.......???
So any help are welcome;)

Sorry for the poor drawing, but I thought it was more important to get something to show you, than to draw a "master piece":rolleyes:

Attachments

• ftd.gif
    ftd.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,009
Well I know you don't have morning, I'm swed!

Ok I get it, even if it looks scary shooting output on center tap.

Well I understand that you couldn't get any clear nice feedback from amp two. Just a thought here, wouldn't it be possible to use a third amp, let say a little really good inverted op, that used a clear source on the input to provide a nice fedback to amp2? Well it would be a hell to match it, but in theory maybee?

/Magnus

looking again, i think I have a stroke here, I don't get it.

What would the output from amp1 do when it goes on the center tap? and when passing that bridge??? Is it some kind of pulse control?

Okay, it has something to do with the low voltage on trafo 2, I might see what you are doing, I have to think here.:scratch:

I think you have to explane your thought a little more?

Magnus

This connection is wery well known, but with another name - it is princicle of "New Class A", developed by Nelson Pass (?) for fa Tresshold maybe 30 yars ago.
I knew somebody must had done this before, but didn't know who;)
Does anybody have a schematic for this????

Magnus:
The first amp moves the DC center point of the second transformer up and down, and as the speaker are connected between output of the second amp and the GND point of the first amp, you get the large voltage swing from the first amp plus the error correction signal from the second amp... (that's if you got a good reference point for the second amp:rolleyes: )

Good morning,

Now I got it, thanks!

Well someone else did it first, but you did it to, and that means that you are as cool as the gurus Nelson and so on. :devily:

Yes it would be really fun to see some schematics and if people here reconize it they just have to remember were they saw it.

I tried to search for it, but I didn't come up with anything.:eek:

Late now

/Magnus

Ohoh,

Thoose schematics, and with the power supply in the report. If I p2p wire that and get it to work, I would be the coolest guy in the block..;)

Have to ask my mother in law for an translation first, haven't had the time to learn japaneas yet, it is hard enough with english.

I'm getting curious of what that complex beast could produce.

Thanks for the links jcarr

/Magnus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.