Help with NAD 2600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i have a NAD 2600 amp that not starts, when i press the power button nothing happens. The relays are quiet and none of the leds go on.
When i open the case and check the voltage that come after the fuse and the switch it says 50v when it is off and when i turn it on it says 226v so it seems to have power to the transformer.
But something i cant understand is why it says 50v in off mode it should have been 0v right?

On the 2 big caps there is a very little bump on top of them, can they been dried out and causing the problem? I also checked all the fuses and they are fine so now i don´t know the problem hoping that someone here know it.

Regards Axel

Try looking at the voltage selector, last one i saw it had fell apart.

Chris

yes, in most cases internal metal parts of the black mains voltage selector is broken (is inside, in the attached picture at left from the mains transformer).

You should remove the rotary switch and solder the connections according to the correct mains voltage, if you don't move permanently to other countries.

Additional you shold resolder and clean the main PCB and polish the contacts of the speaker DC protection relays (PCB behind the power caps).

Attachments

• NAD 2600 Voltage selector.jpg
    NAD 2600 Voltage selector.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Hi sorry for late reply, i forget to check this site :).
Now it is working, it was like you say the problem was the voltage selector, i did wire 2 cabels for 220v and it just work now.
But now i have to change the relay becouse they are bad, does anyone have info on a good replacement ?
Regards and sorry for my language.

And many thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Look at <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s for more information on the relay. The relay data sheet is at http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1386280/000-0-07-PX-1203.pdf

The coil is 24 volts with a 500 Ohm resistance. The silver plated switch contacts will carry 15 Amps continuously. Once you find relays with those electrical specifications, use the mechanical drawing in the data sheet to match up the size and pin locations with a suitable substitute from DigiKey, Mouser, or your favorite distributor.

Hi sorry for late reply, i forget to check this site :).
Now it is working, it was like you say the problem was the voltage selector, i did wire 2 cabels for 220v and it just work now.
But now i have to change the relay becouse they are bad, does anyone have info on a good replacement ?
Regards and sorry for my language.

And many thanks for the help :)
I have always cleaning the contacts of both relais. This is easy to perform because the cover of the relay is to unfold. I. e. it is not necessary to desolder the relais therefore.
Unfortunately I cannot say clearly, whether this relay version is in use by all 2600 power amp devices.
It is to be avoided at all costs while switch-on of the relais, that there is already signal at the power amp output. That means, volume control must standing at the zero position until switch-on of the relais. Otherwise you will get unwanted transition resistance in series to the speaker leads after a short time.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the answer, i shall try to clean the relays tomorrow, what can happen if i forget the volume knob at max when i tur the amp on or off? Did not quite understand that part.
And another question is if someone knows where i can get the Rack Handles to this series? I have search for it but not find them :(
Regards

I hope someone will read this as I have just come across the same problem with one of my Nad 2600 a .
Cut a long story short the solution seems to be bypass the voltage selector altogether and to just solder the wires together,but which ones go with what , that is the question.
The amp is in Australia and runs on 240 volts

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I hope someone will read this as I have just come across the same problem with one of my Nad 2600 a .
Cut a long story short the solution seems to be bypass the voltage selector altogether and to just solder the wires together,but which ones go with what , that is the question.

Please be aware of any safety considerations doing this.

If in any doubt use a bulb tester in series with the mains supply to the amp to limit current. Also perhaps disconnect the secondaries while determining connections to avoid overvolting the amp if you happened to select 120vac instead of 220/240vac.

Thanks, I think that was one of the fastest replies I have ever recieved :>)
I am trying to figure out which coloured wires to solder together,I do have another working 2600 so I could have a little look to see which leads are going to where.
The voltage selector tends to fall apart when its opened up and cannot be put back the way it was,this is the second amp that has done this by the way,the third is still working.
Regards.

You need for 240VAC wall voltage (main voltage) all exist primary windings in serial mode (at whole highest possible DC resistance at primary side).
In case of doubt disconnect the transformer from the amp device and connect the primary windings at an additional isolation transformer with 110V secondary out. If you have found the right primary winding of the NAD2600 transformer, you will observe on its secundary site the lowest possible voltage value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.