Audiolab 8000A recap and mod - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Kei is offline Kei  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
Hi Kei,

If I'm not wrong it was me who suggested several parts upgrades in your Luxman.

Then I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the results.

All those things I suggested, some separately some together, were applied on other amps, including a Luxman.

You do need good speakers to feel differences, and by that I don't necessarily mean improvements. And good speakers do not necessarily mean expensive ones either.

If I recall I also suggested to completely bypass the tone control and lots of switches between the line amp and the power amp stage. That is something which proved very effective on the very first amp of mine that I modified, which did have tone controls and all that.

At least I'm glad the RIAA upgrades improved things a little.

Cheers
I'd guessed it might have been the same person. I've not been dissatisfied with the end result of the changes. It has not been any trouble as there have been improvements which was the whole point. I was a little bit disappointed that changing out the input electrolytics for film didn't yield anything significant but it wasn't the end of the world. I've kept all the components and i'll be using them again in a build from scratch. (once i work out what to build) Taking the tone control out would certainly be easier that separating the power supplies. I'll admit that i never finished changing the components, but that is mainly due to the fact the polystyrene caps still haven't shown up from the supplier yet. The speakers i use a fairly good, though no doubt i could make some improvements. I asked for advice about it in the multi-way section on here and got no replies.

I wasn't knocking your advice earlier in the thread though (although it might have come across like it, sorry if it did). Just trying to save the OP some money. Giving him the changes that should have the greatest audible effect since he is trying to make these changes on a minimal budget.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:20 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

It's alright. These things I recommend try to be a honest contribution.

They are things that I could testify improved many systems I upgraded, mine or on friends of mine.

Eliminating stages, mainly those that involve tone stages and switches, are usually the ones that work most marvels.

What speakers are yours?
Old 10th February 2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Kei is offline Kei  Wales
diyAudio Member

Vintage goodmans minister cabinets with Kef B200 (SP1063) 8" drivers and seas prestige HF22TF 3/4" tweeters. This was the thread i posted about it. (before we derail Fulci's thread)
Old 23rd February 2012, 04:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

There is an op-amp which I believe is the power regulator, it's a TL072CP. Do you think if I could get any improvement replacing this? Which others could I try?

I will be on vacations next month, so I will start modding the amp late March, early April. I will post with pictures all the steps as gradually made.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ok, the Op-Amp is in the power amp section, thinking of replacing it with an OPA2132, NE5532 or a LME49880 (with an adapter). What do you think?

Are there better alternatives that could fit and not as expensive as an OPA627 or an ADA4627.

Last edited by Fulci; 29th February 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 04:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Actually, the TL072 is a DC Servo, so no need to replace, there won't be much of an improvement, it's working fine as it is, I guess...
Old 18th June 2012, 12:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I replaced the ELNA 10.000uF caps for some Kendeil 10.000uF 50v (same value, very cheap, couldn't refuse, and was kind of afraid that a higher spec would make turn out to become slower). It's was a pain to desolder the older ones, so I had to cut the old cap's tips...

The sound is so much more dynamic, much much more bass and more defined. Now you can actually feel the bass drum kicking and the attack on the bass notes. The bass in Pink Floyds "Welcome to the Machine" and all the analogue synths sound beautifully, you can feel all the filters opening up.

The highs are also higher. But they feel dirtier, more grainy. This could be from two reasons, I'm hoping: either it has always been like this and I only noticed now because I now have a higher extent in the extremes, and with more definition, also all the defects from the sources and the recordings are much more noticed; second reason is maybe because it's still burning in. It's been a week, so I'll give a little more time.

The other thing is that the mids are not as liquid or warm as they used to be. I figure that before all I had was mids, and now with a bigger spectrum on the frequencies, maybe it's just more even and natural, so there is less emphasis on this part of the sound.

But all in all I am very pleased with my exchange and the amp became so much better.

Next step is to change the small ELNA STARGETs for SILMIC II... Maybe next month...

One more question: I have a pair of ClarityCap ESA 3,9uF I'm taking from my DAC. Can I use this as bypass cap on the Kendeils, or are they too much?
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Audiolab 8000A - Recap advice

Hi,

am novice to this community but am interested in revamping my old, yet still operational, 8000A amp, purchased in 1989!

Great amp but I feel the dynamics have degraded over time with components aging, am thinking capacitors.

Can anyone please advise where I can obtain a service manual and some helpful advice / guidance of the various modifications, in particular those which are the big hitters that bring the music back to life.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!