Balanced line level to drive RCA amp in bridged mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,

Can i use Balanced output from my preamplifier to get splitted RCA signal from hot/cold and neutral pins to drive L+R channel of an amplifier and take output from hot pins of amplifier output thus making a bridge and hence converting a stereo amplifier into monoural bridged amplifier ?

Just wanted to know before making any go ahead....would simply cut the female XLR connector and attatch 2 RCAs on each output for my twin Yamaha B-5 amplifier.....want to have 2 monoblocks.......700W/channel into 8 ohs, and 60 W Class A per amp in Yamaha B-4 amp?

Please suggest

Your balanced XLR has a GROUND and two outputs wich are in opposed
phase , so you just have to use Ground/+ ouput for a RCA connector
and Ground/-output for the second one and plug onto right and left channel.

By convention the right channel hot pin output will be used as +
and the left channel HOT PIN output as -/VIRTUAL GROUND to connect the speaker.

i intend to use this Behringer DI box for unbalanced to balanced convertor:with two unbalanced inputs i can have upto 8 outputs, high input impedance of 1Mohm, 600 ohm output impedance, plus it has a ground lift switch.

But what about the conversion Andrew T, can i do it this way , i cannot understand what is being said here. my apologies. whats the difference in splitting the Balanced output from DI800 with ground lifted run each channel with hot/cold pin 2/3 and ground pin and take outputs from both hot terminals of speaker, in this way i would not have to open and modify amplifier ?

Is it doable?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
would the output be completely balanced/symmetrical , i think so with this
BEHRINGER: DI800

considering that most of unbalanced to balanced and VV conversion is made electronically , it's safe to presume that any of these conversion circuits can't operate without gnd as reference ;

so - yes .

simple test , without too much of useless brainwashing - feed it with some signal , then measure both outputs ( meaning both pins 2 and 3 ) against gnd (pin 1 ) ; if you have same reading , circ is certainly symmetrical ;

observe difference between terms balanced and symmetrical

symmetrical is balanced which is referenced to some potential , usually GND

(just) balanced doesn't need to be referenced - it can consist just of two leads/points

example - if you have xformer as part of a circuit (in or out , whatever ) , winding is symmetric balanced if center tap is connected to gnd

if CT isn't connected to GND , it's (just) balanced

ok. got it. just curious would we call it bridged Or Fully balanced?
does it has any sonic benefit or noise reduction ?

Originally, the use of balanced circuits in audio/telephone was for the cabling only. A twisted pair cable with balanced (equal + and - signals) rejects noise. This is useful for long cable runs. For home use, the benefits are debatable in my opinion. If you live near a radio station where there's a lot of RFI, then balanced cabling at home makes sense to me.

dirkwright the first objective is to have two monoblocks from two, 2CH amplifiers, each is rated 350W into 4 ohm load per channel , so i expect 700W into 8 ohm per monoblock, a great deal of headroom, excellent channel separation, greater current carrying capacity per channel to handle transients and using less stressing of each amplifier at lower/moderate listening levels and therefore less THD. just wanted to check that if its doable and has anyone done it before .regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.