Replacement output relays for NAD 214/216 AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I have concluded that my NAD 216 Amplifier needs new speaker output relays.
I'm however unable to locate replacement relays with the same part number.
The schematics says the original part number is: DEC DH48D2-0 (M) DH 2U

Does anyone know the partnumber of a replacement relay that will work and fit on the printed circuit board?
Also, if you know a webshop where i can purchase them, then please advise.

Thanks for your help

Tue Madsen

While i have used a soldering iron quite often and are not afraid of exchanging the relays myself, my knowledge of electronics and component specifications are less than slim to none. :-(
So i'm afraid it would take me forever to find out that information. I know its a lot to ask since i'm a newbee, but if some of you has done this before and easily could find this information again it would really make me happy.

If i could just have a specific partnumber that can be bought in this day and age ;-) , i'm sure i could find out where to do it.

Thanks a lot for your info and help. You guys really rock.

I've been looking at relays recently. I never realized before how poor they are at breaking a dc fault condition unless you are really careful about their ratings. If you dive into the datasheets you start to get a better idea of the issue. In all the cases I've seen, the ability of a relay to break open it's contacts and stop current flow when faced with an amplifier failure is suspect. The current rating of the contacts with a dc voltage across them appears to fall off rapidly as the voltage increases - and in most cases the data is for resistive loads. Some data sheets show inductive loads (speakers are inductive for the most part) and then the contract rating is even worse. I assume one needs to ensure that the rating for the relay in terms of dc voltage is ideally higher than the supply rail voltage.

Relays with marginal ratings will work fine - in that they will stop startup noises and powerdown noises - they just won't necessarily protect your speakers if the amp output fails hard to one of the supply rails.

The best relays I've seen are from the Netherlands but shipping costs are stupid silly. They have dual contacts, big one's to deal with nasty amp failures (with v high dc ratings), small ones in parallel to give good sound quality. The company is 'Amplimo' and I believe their special audio speaker relays are the best option.

Last edited:
The dimensions look very close to me. Contacts are silver for both relays so I don't expect a difference in sound. Regarding the price, I am sure the seller would accept more if you offer. :)

The drawings for both relays are attached. Check the dimensions yourself to verify fit in the PC board.

Attachments

• DEC-dh_2.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Tyco 48V DPDT Relay.zip
    191.9 KB · Views: 177
Hi Guys

After a long waiting time to receive the ordered relays, they finally arrived and I just replaced the relay in my NAD 214.
I can not only confirm it works, but apparantly I have had mediocre sound quality for quite some time due to the old worn relay because it sounds as if I just got a new and better amp! The stereo perspective is SO much more precise now.

So I would once again like to thank you for your help, and specifically Bill_P for taking his time to assist a complete noop like me ;-)

-Tue

Do youthink Schrack RT424048 is good subsitute

Hello
I have the same issue regarding poor contact quality with this RL201 relay in my Nad216.
I have seen Tyco/ OMI SH 248L relay caracteristics 5Amps , coil 540mw under 48v contact type is AG/CdO rated 5A
I was looking for a more robust relay in Schrack catalog and found the RT424048 : its coil is 48 V with 400mW consumption and contact type is AgNi - rated 8 A
So my question is : which one is the best suited ? ( I don't understand japaneese datasheet from DEC provided in link) ,from coil consumption point of view.
And then, would the schrack model be a good replacement part ?
Thanks for your help.Best Regards
Chris

Well I Just replaced with OMI SH 248L relay , no more sound : relay does not commute anymore. I will buy a relay support and will try with original and determine if I made something wrong or if relay is out of spec. I will probably try with a Schrack relay

Sorry for posting in such an old thread, but it (maybe) helped med a lot!
I had a 216 which were making scrathing noises and sometimes barely sound in the right channel - now I switched the relay and re-biased it now when it was open and it could power on. Tomorrow I'm going to connect it to some speakers just to test if my soldering was ok
Excited :spin:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.