Adcom gfa-585 dc servo opamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can any one help, I`m down here in Australia with no Adcom agent for spare parts, Adcom in their wisdom have taken off the original number and manufacturer and put on their own
ADCOM 2A 8933, number, does anyone know what the real number is for this i.c.
BTW if this was done in Australia Adcom would be taken to court, as we have a law down here which prohibits the coverting of part numbers if they are not designed and manufactered by yourself.

I'm repairing a GFA-555II amp right now, and both servo opamps need replacing. Since the opamp is being used on a single 20V supply, I wanted to replace with a good opamp capable of rail-to-rail swings. In this thread someone suggested a Analog Devices AD822. The 822 is a double opamp, but the AD820 is a single version of the same, and after reading the datasheet it looks like an excellent replacement. I have several on order...

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
The usual bad advice....

"Since the opamp is being used on a single 20V supply" Are you sure? That doesn't sound likely for a servo.......

I believe what Mr. Pass is saying is that the choice of op amp for the servo is not that critical sonically.

The NE5534 is not suitable for a servo. It not stable for gains under 3 if uncompensated. Most servos are integrators and require unity gain stable op amps. This bias current for the NE5534 is 2000 nA worst case. Most servos I have seen use an input resistor of 1 Meg or more to be able to use a small film cap of 1 uF or smaller and still get a long time constant. 2000 nA times 1 megaohm is 2 volts, way to much error voltage for this circuit. Get a schematic or draw one for at least the servo circuit before rushing to replace the part at random. If it is a single op amp, a LF351 should be easy to find and most jfet input unity gain stable op amps should work fine. Worrying about phase reversal when overdriving the input is nonsense with an integrator type circuit where the inputs usually sit at around ground. Sorry for all the wacko advice you got from every one but Mr. Pass. If you really want to use a premium part for the servo, something like the OPA604AP would be hard to beat for the money. make sure there is not something else in the circuit that is causing the problem as it could be something besides the servo.

I believe you can get a service manual
which is usually worth the investment if you going to fix something.

Servo and Crusade

Hi Fred,
On crusade again?:clown:
For what it is worth my limited experience with the servo IC:
I replaced the MC1458 by the OP07 in my Ampzilla II. This requires some surgery as the MC1458 is a dual and the OP07 a single opamp. It works on +/-13V supplies. Sonically the mod did not change a bit.
Later I completely removed the servo which made the designer of the beast very angry: OOO-GA, KING ZILLA ROYAL ORDER OF THE BANANA
http://www.ampzilla2000.com/bonge2.html
:clown:
But I liked the sound of my amplifier much better without the servo!:cool:

Fred...the 555II has a single 20V zener setting up voltage for the positive supply, the neg side goes to ground. Inverting input connected to the power amp output via a 4.7M resistor, integrated with a .1µf cap. Non-inverting input goes to ground, also integrated with the same 4.7M/.1µf setup. Output feeds base of first diff-pair transistor via a 1.5M resistor, and is it's only source of bias.

As for using 'cheap' opamps, I popped in the only single opamp I have here, while I wait for the AD820 to show up. Stuck in a LM741C. DC offset is sitting at about 2V. Lol!

So yeah, I think something a little better is called for. ;)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
The chump gets stumped

Looks like the AD820 will go about 0.2 below the negative rail for input common mode. I believe the dual version of this device is the AD823 for anyone curious. I was aware of any jfet input op amp that would do that. I learned something. It happens on this forum much more often than I let on......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.