My 8Kg water cooling 75W Class A Mono block

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use normal computer water cooling tools to build this amp , not any special parts , everyone can find in market .

The result is very good. This amp running DC+/-38V ,Quiescent Current 2.2A, total consumption 180W, under the cooloing the 7*10*1CM copper heatsink temperature just 42℃ (room temp 18℃), so I think this way can make a very High Class A power amp then say goodbye to big monster aluminum case.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Impressive build (Your equipment too....) !

I can`t spot anything which looks like an electrical water pump.
Do I understand this right that water circulation works through convection of the fan only?
How hot does this tiny (copper / brass ?) heatsink get?

Noctua fan, excellent choice for applications that require low-noise operation, expensive but worth the quality (have some in my PC running).

Apple G5 dedicated DDC pumps, transparent acrylic inlet and outlet for the modification parts installed directly in the pure copper heat exchanger

T2wm1jXh0XXXXXXXXX_!!102732737.jpg

I believe this one is small and lightweight, and completely the highest degree, and integrated water-cooled amplifier

Last edited:
Hi Simon,
Neatly engineered concept, i like it......:cool:

Just one suggestion, use a wide washer with the allen key screws for mounting the devices, in this way the force on the devices will distribute more evenly, using TO-264 actually demands the force should be applied above die area in order to get tight thermal coupling. Better to use copper bar on them for tightening as well, since you are running them in class-A.

Kanwar

Lovely work, Simon, I did this once years ago on an Elector design, used a dishwasher pump and circulated the coolant through underground pipes, using the earth as heatsink. It was very effective, ran below room temp, but from time to time during quiet music you could hear a gurgling sound was a bit offputting......

My congratulations, wonderful, appropriate use of very economical computer cooling technology.

Hugh

As a PC watercooling junkie, I feel I should chime in:

The pump is a Laing DDC series, commonly used in PC watercooling.

Laing DDC comes in several different varieties:

DDC 3.1 AKA Swiftech mcp350 = 9W, low RPM

DDC 3.2 AKA Swiftech mcp355 = 18W, high-RPM

DDC 3.25 AKA Koolance PMP-400 = slightly higher wattage and RPM

Swiftech's MCP35X is essentially a DDC 3.2X with PWM control. It works well.

All DDC varieties respond very favorably to a replacement top (volute chamber). The one pictured appears to have a transparent top. It's possibly manufactured by XSPC. EK makes a good top as well.

Laing D5 = Swiftech mcp655. This comes in several varieties now...it's larger, but also an excellent pump.

Fans: The Noctua fans are good. The best fans, IMO, are from the Scythe Gentle Typhoon line. The AP-13, at 1150 RPM, is plenty of airflow. To control noise: Voltage control works slightly better than PWM control, in general.

Radiators: XSPC RX performs well with low RPM fans. Swiftech MCR is most cost effective.

Coolant: Distilled water + a silver "kill coil" placed in the reservoir = sufficient. The coolant need not be colored.

That said: I don't think I'd be willing to run anything louder than a slightly undervolted mcp350 or mcp655 at a low speed setting and a few sub-800-RPM fans. The behemoth heatsink method works...Efficiency could be further improved with the use of heatpipes to distribute the load.

Edit: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pumps.html - Here is a good representation of the commonly used pumps in PC watercooling.

Last edited:
YES!

Its about time someone used this technology where it counts.

I have been into watercooling PC's way before the commercial applications came out. Hell, I designed and utilized my own water blocks. I remember cooling my 500mhz Duron to almost 1.2GB. The performance increase was insane.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.