Exicon 10N20 10P20 Transistors - help please. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
seebert is offline seebert  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Exicon 10N20 10P20 Transistors - help please.

Trying a new post for the transistors gone in my Muse160 amp:

10N20 and 10P20 transistor sources in the USA anyone? Or alternatives?

Found this source in the UK - same transistors as in the Muse amp?

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/...rtno=ECX10N20R

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/...rtno=ECX10P20R

Thanks, Mike.

(from thread on all my amps ....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MUSE160a.jpg (130.5 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg MUSE160b.jpg (203.2 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by seebert; 18th January 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 11:52 AM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

afaik the profusion laterals were diffused by semelab, element14/farnell stock quite a few of the semelab stuff under the different brands like alfet. profet i think are too, but regardless you should be able to find something suitable here

your links are broken btw, but i gather they were a 10A 200V part? unless you were really pushing them, the ALF08N20V and its complement might do the trick, but there are higher power double die devices like ALF16N16W

hope that helps
Old 18th January 2012, 12:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Rod Elliot recommends these in his P101 project. He shows them as an alternate to 2SK1058 and 2SJ162. I have ordered from Profusion and their service and packaging is great. Their standard shipping is fast but expensive. You could phone them and see if they will go with regular air rather than courier. I hope this helps. ( :
Old 18th January 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
stoc005 is offline stoc005  United States
diyAudio Member

Use FindChips.com Online Electronic Component Distributor Inventory Search. ALF08N/P20 in T03 or TO247 are in stock at Newark in the US. They also carry the ALF16N/P20 in either package. All made by Semelab.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your input and great help.

qusp: I've looked at Element 14 but (being a bit slow now) cannot locate the part - it's a confusing site for a non-tech person

dillmeister: Thanks for the OK on Profusion - it's always a bit 'risky' ordering from a supplier overseas - especially one I hadn't previously heard of. I think I'll go with them unless I can figure out Element14 !!

I've altered the links - the forum 'system' automatically put in a an HTML 'URL' link. Sorry.

Thanks again and my best regards and wishes, Mike.

stoc005: Our posts crossed. Many thanks for the info. I haven't looked into it yet - wanted to get a 'thank you' right back to you. Mike.

Last edited by seebert; 18th January 2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added text - again.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

stoc005: Many thanks !!! Yes I see them - that's a weight off my mind. I still don't know why they 'went' in the first place ... all I was doing was checking DC offset with nothing at all connected to the Muse amplifier and when I reconnected the speakers there was bad distortion.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebert View Post
Thank you all for your input and great help.

qusp: I've looked at Element 14 but (being a bit slow now) cannot locate the part - it's a confusing site for a non-tech person
mike, i linked you directly to 2 of them at farnell/element14 that could be substituted provided you can handle an: 8A rated device or a 16A rated device vs the 10A rated devices you linked. they are otherwise diffused by the same larger company: semelab but sold under a different name by a different company. the devices themselves are the same lateral fets

Last edited by qusp; 18th January 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 03:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry qusp, I was still 'rattled' as I hope you can imagine and stupidly didn't realise they were links Since these transistors are expensive (by my standards anyway) can you (or anyone) tell me how to test them. I tried a quick check in-circuit but got confusing readings so will drop them out of circuit this afternoon to check them. I have DMM with diode check facility but don't know what numbers to expect from these transistors. What should I read on a good one from:

PIN 1 Gate to PIN 2 Source or to PIN 3 Drain ... in easy baby talk please, like positive lead to X and negative lead to Y (or any combination as required) should read XYZ figure approx. I know I'm slow but really appreciate all help and I do learn (albeit slowly) from it.

Is it a requirement to change out the whole set (all 8 per side) or just the faulty ones?

By the way, what is the benefit of using lateral fets? I don't know a thing about them compared to 'ordinary' transistors.

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by seebert; 18th January 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Newark had them? Darn. Ordered a set from England yesterday. Although Newark is pretty pricey, and postage was quite reasonable.

Anyway, Mike. You can't really test a MOSFET like a simple bipolar with a multimeter. Google how to build a test fixture. Be VERY careful as they are ESD, as in static, sensitive. What makes a lateral MOSFET better than any other device seems to be up for discussion and I am not qualified to answer. Mr. Curl seems to hold different views from Mr. Self, than Mr. Pass, than...... All very bright gentlemen. As I am repairing a DH 120, I am using Lateral MOSFETS. It is what it was designed for. Will I when I try and build my own? Not a clue. I suspect the execution is far more important than the part until you get to the level of the folks fore mentioned. I like my MOSFET Hafler and B&K, but also my BJT Rotels.
Old 18th January 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

These are lateral MOSFETS. No need to replace all if only one is broken. They have such a tempco that they will "equalize" themselves regarding the quiescent current even if you do not match them.
I bought from profusion recently, no problem for them shipping to Switzerland. And in my case way cheaper than Farnell.

In the ALFET, Magnatec, Exicon lateral mosfets, it's always the same chip.
You can trust him: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post2634030
last sentence

Hide this!Advertise here!