Maplin JLH 50 watt amplifier article.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't imagine the SMPS is worth having by modern standards, except for possibly details on winding of the transformer. Nowadays you could build a simpler, more efficient SMPS using a controller like the TL494 or SG3525. The hard part is winding a transformer!

I now am proud owner of two populated boards and brackets. A few dry joints have developed so I'm going to carefully strip and repopulate them.
Someone also had a field-day with the heat-sink compound....

I also read the article posed on earlier post and noticed one of their power supply suggestions could feed it up to +/-39V which clearly exceeds the 60V Vce rating of Q4 and Q5
(at maximum voltage swings on their collectors).

Its probably alright if you don't drive it hard, but all the other transistors are 80V ones it seems silly to leave such a chink in the amp's armour so to speak....
I'll plumb for 2N5679/81 which are still available.

Last edited:
Maplin High Quality Power supply PCB (Not the switch mode one - the one with the TO-220 rectifiers and radial caps mounted lying down) - Does anyone have any data or original stock code or articles thereof? I did have the maplins magazines but cant seem to find them since moving house.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.