Plinius III 80 watt p/c class AB Amplifier - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Butcher is offline Butcher  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

In the photo "Power supply view (mains filter, bridge heatsinks).jpg" just below the "mains filter" is the mute relay in my model srh.

Tony.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:16 PM   #32
srh is offline srh  New Zealand
Mmm, FETS
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony, that relay is the one that controls the mute relay in the preamp. Would you be able to measure the voltage it puts onto the DIN socket for me? Also, is there a delay in the operation of the relay when the poweramp is turned on and when switched off does the relay drop out immediately?Thanks.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 13th January 2012, 03:01 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Ok, I can't remember now, it was 15 years ago. What I did was use the relay to short out input RCAs inside the amp. Basically muting it. I ripped out the DIN socket... Wish I haddn't now. Was back when CDs (and mp3s) where king. Today I would love to restore the preamp (build a power supply like the Playmaster one I uploaded.

Um as far as the delay goes, take my advice, REPLACE THE ELECTROLYTICS! There is a simple RC time constant. The caps in my amp where buggered. MEASURE THE RESISTANCE of the resistors too while your in there.

This is why I'd love a copy of the Preamp schematic. Schematic for the power supply board would be an advantage too! I could rebuild the preamp.

Tony.
Old 28th January 2012, 10:59 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Photos of Black Plinius

Here is some photos of my friends Plinius III. It is from mid to late 80's. My Brown version is from 1980! .

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plinius (Black) a.jpg (135.5 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg Plinius (Black) b.jpg (118.0 KB, 461 views)
Old 19th February 2012, 03:55 AM   #35
mr l is offline mr l  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default unknown model

hi!

I recently acquired a pair of plinius monobloc amps from a friend, not working. they have no model model number markings as such but going from the previous images posted they are 80's vintage, and plinius had only a couple of mono amps in the eighties. found most of the output transistors u/s. I've started tracing out a schematic, it's virtually the same as the one posted but it appears to have an extra driver stage. simple design, 500va transformer, no mains power switch, captive mains lead, fused speaker out (yuk). ripe for a rebuild! any idea on which model it is?

cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRL_04271.jpg (121.9 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg MRL_04281.jpg (116.0 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg MRL_04291.jpg (127.1 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg MRL_04301.jpg (103.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg MRL_04311.jpg (116.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 19th February 2012, 05:37 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

No but I will give ya five bucks for them lol!

I reccon they are early 80's. Maby 120 watts each???
Old 19th February 2012, 10:38 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr l View Post
hi!

I recently acquired a pair of plinius monobloc amps from a friend, not working. they have no model model number markings as such but going from the previous images posted they are 80's vintage, and plinius had only a couple of mono amps in the eighties. found most of the output transistors u/s. I've started tracing out a schematic, it's virtually the same as the one posted but it appears to have an extra driver stage. simple design, 500va transformer, no mains power switch, captive mains lead, fused speaker out (yuk). ripe for a rebuild! any idea on which model it is?
cheers,
good pictures. Make additional images from all stickers at the rear panel, at bottom plate and - if present - also from the PCBs. And then ask there (if possible by phone):
dbmaster@audioenz.co.nz <dbmaster@audioenz.co.nz>
AudioEnz - Home
This is the most popular audio magazine in New Zealand.
I think, here you will get all wanted imformations.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:13 AM   #38
mr l is offline mr l  Australia
diyAudio Member

I guess You didn't read when I said there were NO markings. it does however have "plinius PA6D" on the driver board and "plinius PA6C" on the output stage board. It doesn't really matter now, I've drawn a rough schematic and raided the output transistors to make one working module, so now the rebuilding starts! the plan is to replace all the capacitors except the psu ones, replace the output transistors with matched sets, AC mains filtering and switching, loudspeaker protect, softstart boards and some of the wiring. good times!
Old 19th February 2012, 01:38 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr l View Post
I guess You didn't read when I said there were NO markings. it does however have "plinius PA6D" on the driver board and "plinius PA6C" on the output stage board. It doesn't really matter now, I've drawn a rough schematic and raided the output transistors to make one working module, so now the rebuilding starts! the plan is to replace all the capacitors except the psu ones, replace the output transistors with matched sets, AC mains filtering and switching, loudspeaker protect, softstart boards and some of the wiring. good times!
this means to me, that the probability is high,
that these parts were used for different models from those days.
Old 20th February 2012, 03:16 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thats cool, hat are the output devices? MJ15003, MJ15004. What value are the resovoir capacitors? Hopefully they are ok. Don't short them out lol. What is the +- voltage rails?

Nice twins anyhow. Wonder if they are designed for hifi or PA??

Would be nice to have schematic here for completion and for documental purposes...

Hide this!Advertise here!