Help a noob! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Help a noob!

Hi!

Just like to say this site is pretty damn awesome! and love that your all sharing different ideas on your projects and findings, a real community you've got here :-)

I've been debating for the last few months in what to buy with regards to a new/second hand amp (currently have an Arcam alpha 8r) but after seeing and hearing many testimonies of your own creations, I'd love to try my hand at it. Its been a few years since I've done anything with components like this but I'm handy with a soldering iron and also don't shake whilst using one, but would need help from here on out (I also have most kit inc multimeter, helping hand etc..)

Is there any guides to any amps that some members have created to make a complete amp? I've seen many clones on eBay but as im not technical, just choosing a PSU is head scratching for me!

Id like to build a pre and power amp, my current kit is:
Arcam Alpha 8r amp
Musical Fidelity X-24k dac
Musical Fidelity X-10-D
Musical Fidelity X-PSU
Denon DVD/A/SACD player
Rega RP1 Turntable
Rega RS5 Speakers

I was looking at used Musical Fidelity X-A50's with a pre amp and also Rega Mira/Cursa combo's but if I can get that sound myself then that would be even more gratifying.

Looking to go digital (I have a fare few 24bit flacs from linn/hd tracks etc) into the x-24k then onto the buffer then the home-brew amp

Looking forward to your response

Jamie
Old 5th January 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Your gear is good. respected quality commercial equipment. The DIY route is great fun but the choices, jargon and general attitudes are way different to the guy in the Hi-Fi shop.

DIY assumes you want to design, build and finish your amplifier or whatever in your own way but noobs don't often have the knowledge, parts or resources for information or guidance so add "researcher" to the list of things to become.

Most guys would suggest you join a thread building a basic design amplifier. Joining Destroyer X on his latest project would be a great intro. and the million pics and entertaining exchanges can make it a wonderful experience. Many members will agree there. Take a closer look and consider the construction work you are up for whether you buy Group sourced PCBs or buy a cheap internet clone kit.
Hx-Home Edition and Hx Mini Edition will be released December, 24th

Welcome aboard and I trust you enjoy the vast depth and breadth of DIYAudio

Last edited by Ian Finch; 5th January 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!