Copper tracks conner angles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its a myth - audio frequency currents basically don't care about anything but the least resistance path

in PCB "design for manufacturability" some trace features are avoided because of etching limits, or rare failure mechanisms, some hypothetical, or out dated by improved materials, processing

at RF frequencies, modern digital, the rules change because the high frequency components are sensitive to the waveguide/transmission line properties of the trace/plane geometry - then you don't want the impedance discontinuity of sharp 90 degree bends

Last edited:
You need to think about what signals your tracks are carrying. If power, then wider tracks will give less voltage drop. If signal, then narrower tracks will give less capacitive coupling. In audio you may find that minimising loop area is more important than other things, so 'go' and 'return' paths should be near each other. Don't blindly follow rules (especially silly rules found on the internet); try understanding instead.

Hi,
I've read in several posts about 'thinking of electrones as your car' so you should provide rounded corners or 45 degree bends. What's the need when component leads meet with the copper tracks at 90 degrees??

Rounded corners are used in R.F work to keep the track width uniform so there are no sudden changes in impedance, inductance, capacitance etc. They are not used to help the electrons turn corners. Electrons weigh next to nothing and can corner at light speed without a problem :)

At audio frequencies the inductance and capacitance is to small to have the same effect as it does at R.F and the lower impedance of a 90 degree corner (due to the wider track width) will only make a tiny difference to the overall series impeadence

yes i wondered about this too and acko explained it for me as above re impedance consistency/control. i would also think that perhaps even at some modern dac clock and DSP speeds that RF technique would not do any harm? certainly other RF technique is put to good use in dac layout.

...no actually I am being pedantic, let me explain the difference...

electrons do have mass, don't move too quick in room temp metals, strictly speaking it would be photons in their guise of EM fields that travel ~ 1/2 c in most transmission lines

for audio corners really don't matter except for how the size/orientation of loop areas change for mutual inducatance linkage

yes, but i was trying to get more info on the boundary of the increasingly complex and fast mixed signal designs of todays audio processors, DSPs, Clocks and even DACs. when clocks are running at over 100Mhz with opamps, comparators, receivers and transceivers to match, does this not blur the boundary somewhat between audio and RF design?

you really don't know which rules to apply just because it is a "audio product"...

normally one designing mixed signal circuits would make the distinction between the Audio Frequency signals and the Digital ones, often maintaining different gnd plane partitions, separate supplies, possibly shielding

even Class D typically isn't fast enough for full digital transmission line theory to be 1st order important in layout - just consider it as very dirty analog, pay attention to mutual inducatance, common gnd, power impedance coupling, part parasitics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.