What to do with 4 little accurian amps?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
IamKai is offline IamKai  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What to do with 4 little accurian amps??

I just dug up 4 of the little 14.95 wonder from rad shack.

I like them for a garage or bedroom/dorm system with a couple of bookshelfs, but I wondered when i bought them and still wonder now...if more can be done.

I see the "Naim nap 140 kit" stuff on fleece-you-Bay and cannot help but wonder if there would be an easy way to use the guts from these in a couple of respectable monoblocks somehow.

Is there a "board kit" that might work well with these parts that any of you know about?

Several people have said the transformers were excellent and other items in there would make a great basis for a much higher-end amplifier without a ton of work.

If you had a few hundred and four of these amps, could you build something serious by using any of the ebay kits?
Old 1st January 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

$14.95 doesn't buy a lot of power supply - whatever global market. Ebay kits are sure cheap and good value too but at 40W/ch as about the smallest class AB output per channel and only 50% efficiency, perhaps that's a big leap in power requirements.

ie You need at least 80W supply power at +/- 30-40V with these old, linear audio designs.

Hide this!Advertise here!