New super pair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can such a simple trick nail MOSFET gate capacitance to a constant?
I have never seen an ESBT self-biased in this way before, is it new?
Can we now use MOSFET without squirming cap at stOOpid low VDS?

------

And a trio provides base current...

Attachments

• ESBT.gif
    ESBT.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 307
  • ESBT2.gif
    ESBT2.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Working an FET with Drain below turn-on voltage puts you into a very different mode of operation, with soft "plate resistance" and lower and more-variable Gm.

In a sense, instead of squishy C skewing your highs you have squishy resistance parameters skewing everything.

Your Trio looks to me like a 3-stage amplifier which is liable to self-oscillate.

Have you tried these on breadboard?

Can such a simple trick nail MOSFET gate capacitance to a constant?
I have never seen an ESBT self-biased in this way before, is it new?
I think base current will be a bitch with your first two self-bias circuits. The third one (with 2 MOSFETs) looks interesting, if you can get it stable.

Wouldn't it be easier just to use an ESBT as intended? You get almost constant voltage across the MOSFET. Judging from the pic below (swiped from a datasheet), it seems normal to run these things with very low Vds.

BTW, Nelson Pass mentioned awhile ago that he'd been playing with ESBTs. I wonder if anything interesting will come of that?

Attachments

• esbt.GIF
    esbt.GIF
    6.7 KB · Views: 254
Working an FET with Drain below turn-on voltage puts you into a very different mode of operation, with soft "plate resistance" and lower and more-variable Gm.

In a sense, instead of squishy C skewing your highs you have squishy resistance parameters skewing everything.

Your Trio looks to me like a 3-stage amplifier which is liable to self-oscillate.

Have you tried these on breadboard?

I'm not sure how the dynamic resistance of a cascode or ring of
two could be squishy? Gm might be reduced or curved or both...
Some curves are useful. If it turned out to be square law, that
might be a very good thing. Other curves, maybe not so useful.
But my magic eight ball don't tell me whats gonna happen.
Time to consult the entrails on a breadboard, or whatever...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.