Luxman KV-105 crackling on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have an LV-105 (sorry about the typo in the title) purchased new in the 80's that has just developed a hiss and crackling on the right channel. This appears on both sets of speakers, and is independent of both volume and balance settings, and the input. I'm hoping this is just one of the tubes, which of course have been pre-heating for about 27 years. Any suggestions?

If a more complicated repair is indicated, I have the tools and skills (from building TTL test fixtures) but with my travel schedule it would end up being yet another uncompleted project. I'd appreciate any suggestions on repair shops in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Based on a number of these I've fixed:
Resolder all the joints on the driver and tube boards. These become problematic with age as the various components thermally cycle them. Especially look at the tube sockets and their solder joints as well as the joining connectors. You might want to clean off the old solder and re-solder with lead free (it has a higher melting point).
Honestly, my advice would be to do this ASAP as you may end up with a dead amp if it's not taken care of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.