Class i and siblings - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2012, 11:49 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Hi Keantoken,

I appreciate you have figured this out.
I also share your concern about the quasi-saturation and how well that is modeled.
Vce of Q5 & Q6, for example, is very low. Happily, these trannies have little work to do, as they only provide the bias voltage for the other trannies (Q3, Q4, Q7 & Q8).

BTW, how well matched are those NXP duals? They are not monolithic, is it?

Cheers,
E.
Old 16th March 2012, 07:24 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

I have not tried the duals, they are not advertised as matched so I can only assume they are like transistors from the same batch. I heard that Phillips BC560C had very good matching straight from the factory, but they no longer make those and Phillips has become NXP.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:00 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

For those (still) interested in class i, Kendall's original Linear Audio article is being published by EDN in their 'analog zone'.

Part I appears here:

Designing a low-distortion audio output stage - Part 1: Introduction, the problem with push-pull outputs | EDN

Enjoy!

jan didden
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:40 PM   #204
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I notice that Pioneer had Class I technology in the past and yet as far as I can see they do not use it in their products today.

Are there any subjective reports of sound quality comparing Class I with the simpler double EF output stage ?

And I have the impression that the Circlophone approach is equivalent in many ways and reports are that it sounds very good.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th May 2013, 01:58 PM   #205
ontoaba is offline ontoaba  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I notice that Pioneer had Class I technology in the past and yet as far as I can see they do not use it in their products today.

Are there any subjective reports of sound quality comparing Class I with the simpler double EF output stage ?

And I have the impression that the Circlophone approach is equivalent in many ways and reports are that it sounds very good.
Psst.. no cimpiraibli i using ears...
if you looking for earable comparison try another one like this DOT. It is comparable with SE 805 + 300B configuration. Even better in treble(high).

But class i+siblings really are fun and interesting for engineering, marketing and visual comparison. Indeed..
Attached Images
File Type: png hexfet source follower single ended censored.PNG (66.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:18 PM   #206
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Experiments

Edmond's BFF, syn08, is experimenting with autobias schemas, comparing various non-switching arrangements (from the Linear Technology LT1166 to optocoupler drivers, including Kendall's Class I, Edmond's cloned LT1166 autobias schema, etc...) in terms of long and short term thermal and HF stability, distortion performance, integration with various front ends, etc...

Results with Edmond's autobias are, so far, mixed. The THAT Spice models are as bad as the next, so some changes in the original design are required to make it work. Other changes are required for stability, including managing a nasty RHP zero that is otherwise killing the gain margin when a global NFB loop is closed.

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to further discuss his stuff here. Edmond or anybody else interested in this stuff may contact him directly.
Old 7th December 2013, 08:34 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Despite the high complexity of the output stage of class-i works well on resistive load, the distortion at 1 kHz, no more than 0.005% at 30 V (peak) output.
At the same time he did not hold the external load and external load distortion increased more than 100 times (to 0.8%), which in my opinion is not suitable for audio amplifier.

best regards
Petr

Hide this!Advertise here!