Integrated Amp repair / conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help with this:-

I have been using 2 x Arcam Alpha 6+ integrated amps as power amps (bi-amped). Both volume controls are equalised to achieve a good balanced sound.

Recently one of these has develpoed a fault with the volume control (which has always crackled a tad). I'd like to replace both volume controls.

As I see it I have 3 choices:
1. Replace with the manufacturers replacement part
2. Replace it with an upgrade
3. Use fixed value resistors (since the volume is controlled via the pre-amp and therefore no attenuation is needed.

What do people think is the best of the 3 options

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The best mechanical fit with the least disturbance to your amps. i.e. use original or close match parts.

"Upgrade" could mean anything from a more popular brand to very expensive toys but there are many non-standard pots in the boutique class that might not fit properly for various reasons. If there really are no such dimensional problems, throw as much money as you feel like at it.

Fixed resistors is a purist approach but not very smart IMHO for resale or other uses as you develop your system. If you need to remove the pots to do this, you'll have odd looking amps or otherwise, do-nothing controls anyway.

Arcam will send you a service manual if you ask them. They are very repair friendly :)

Usually Arcam use an ALPS motorised pot on a small daughter board. You could easily replace it or apply fixed resistors in place of the pot. The ALPS pot itself is not that hard to get

Many thanks for your replies.

Ian, although I do understand the logic regarding re-sale and looks, I am actually keen to achieve the best sound quality for my money as my key consideration. Both of you I think are suggesting that fixed resistors would do this and is fairly straght forward. I would also guess that I can buy some pretty tidy resistors for the money required to replace a motorised pot!

Jaycee your dead right the small daughter board etc. is in place and thus I think installing resistors should be a doddle once I have worked out how to configure them!
Thus far I have removed the pot / motorised unit from the daughter board and established it to be 10k ohms

Do you have any suggestions as to what resitors are the best and where to buy. (Although I am not new to electrical repair I am new to hi-fi modding - although I am keen to get into it more)

thanks and regards

It is a dual 20K log pot, probably Alps RK271 series. I haven't got the schematic for the 6, but it is probably very close to the 7R/8R which I do have.

Ordinary 1% metal film resistors will be just fine here. Boutique parts are not worth the money IMO. You could even do away with the attenuation entirely and just use links - but be sure you do attenuate at the preamp or things will get LOUD :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.