need subwoofer diy amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Excellent choice in subwoofer, please tell me you're running it in a sealed box. Is it a 4+4 Ohm? You'll need +/-80v rails for that kind of power. You could try large Mosfets or a series of TIP35/TIP36. Many feel there are better devices out there but I've had great success with them. You may want to use forced cooling if you don't want enormous heatsinks. To support that kind of power you'll need more than one transformer. Probably a parellel/series arangment. You could parellel the transformers after the rectifier section into the rails to stiffen them up.

subwoofer amp

hello,

I choose infinity kappa for its low price and soft,and powerfull bass. this project is to my friend,which like theese kind of sound.
I have morel 224 woofers,and morel mtd 33 tweeters home made speaker,which has enought bass for my taste(even with my built zen v4),but in some music,or in home theater..:)

do you have complete project, I would be very thankful for it?

only one project i found in net which is p68- rod elliots 300w sub amp.

as I understand- amp for this kappa model would be about 400-600 real wats in 4ohm load. which is need few trafs in comon 800-1000VA,and as much transistors,as lower output resistance to this amp,and bigger damping factor,which is key to goood bass control..

frankly speaking I want to hear this driver how it will give me a drive ;)

I want a closed box, which bass is deep and flat, but my friend wants resonances and conviced me to built ported box,with fhaseinverter.

I will be glad to hear from You- greetings from lithuania.

and class

Re: Infinity Perfect 12

gras said:
Hi
I just got one of those perfect 12 sub's I woold like to know what
volume is good for home theater use , I just build a vented box
3.3 cub Ft tuned at 30 Hz but sound a bit boomy ?
Thanks

Hi Gras, where do you buy your drivers in SA?

When you ask about volume, is it sound level (SPL, dB) or box volume?

How did you design your box? Did you try WinISD? Did you use any bracing and/or stuffing inside?

as I understand- amp for this kappa model would be about 400-600 real wats in 4ohm load. which is need few trafs in comon 800-1000VA

It is not clear to me that you need parallel transformers. One 800 VA would be more cost effective. Make sure you had adequate cap capacity would also seem important to providing the amp adequate power during music peaks.

In any case with this type of VA you would definitely need a "soft start" circuit to keep the current in-rush under control, putting less load on the CAPs, lenthening there life and keeping the lights from dimming :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.