Arcam Delta 290 Integrated - Please have a look.

Hi All,

I have moved this plea for info from Everythin Else to this more appropriate area.

Just a few days ago I was wanting to listen to some music and got a bit if a shock!! I am using a 290 Integrated as a pre with a couple of 290P(power amps) in bridged mono. When I turned up the volume in the integrated to the normal 9 o'clock position, the amp relays kept on cutting out (LED to orange and no audio output) and resetting themselves. The right-hand monoblock was also resetting itself in a similar manner. When I switched from direct mode on the pre to indirect (i.e tone controls and balance now active), the amps would reset. If I moved the volume, the amps would reset. Funnily enough, I had output when I was runnng the pre in mono.

Having had a dustly input selector causing previous problems that I cured with switch cleaner, I took the amp to my bench and had a look at the insides. I was expecting to find evidence of a blown component (scorch marks etc) or two, but, except for a lot of dust that I cleaned up, everythin looked fine. I used the switch cleaner and reassembled.

When I powered up the system, the symptoms were still the same, but I noticed that the volume on the pre had to be turned way up to hear any output at all on the left channel, the right was dead and any switching made the relays click out.

Before I send the amp back to ARCAM for repair, has anyone got any clues as to what may have happened here? My thoughts are that perhaps an IC had partially failed (on the right side circuit) and then fully blown (because the gain is so tiny now that I suspect it is purely the line level of the CDP output and the 290 integrated has become a passive preamp!!!!

Any thoughts would be very gratfully received.

Cheers

Jon:cannotbe:

Schematic

Hi,

I've had the amp for nearly 10 years and have owned it from new. At £500 it was a good middle of the range amp, and I enjoy its powerful, if a little warm presentation.

The components inside are fairly ordinary, and are all easily available. I'm sure that this is a case of replacing bits rather than any massive expense, but I am pretty new to all this DIYAudio stuff.

I have the 290 Schematic from ARCAM, and will have a look through it to see if there is anything obvious.

If push comes to shove, I can work out a BOM and could replace all the passives, cap and ICs for (probably) less than 50 UKP (a bit overkill though)!!:bigeyes:

Cheers

Jon

Cambridge Audio Preamp

Hi Eric,

yes, I may well be interested. I am just about to replace the 5532 and TL072 opamps in the pre-amp stage of the ARCAM with a couple of OPA2604s that I had put aside for another project. Looking at the amp schematic and considering the symptoms, a failing opamp might have been the cause (perhaps).

Anyway, I'll email you offline to see how much you want for the pre if I am still unsucessful with the ARCAM - as usual, I am budget limited for the rest of this month though!:bigeyes:

Cheers

Jon

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Do some checking first!

Hi jonclancy,
It sounds like you have a DC offset. Check the DC output voltage on the top of the volume control. Check the voltages on pins 4 and 8 of the op amps. They should be equal in magnitude, + and-.
The unit is not a passive preamp. It is a very good thing called a buffer to drive your cables and input circuits.
-Chris

Problem solved.......

Hi Chris,

I had the problem solved a few months ago - and forgot to post here. :rolleyes:

The problem was not with the D290 -- I sent it back to Arcam for repair, and they replaced the 2604 I installed with the original 5532, repaired the pcb tracks I had damaged, tested the unit and returned it to me! :xeye: Early days for me as a DIYer!! ;)

No, the problem (that I discovered with the help of a couple of forum members) was with the Black Box 50 DAC. I replaced a failing 5532 (with a 5532 - no tinkering!! ;) ) that was evident by discolouring on the pcb and the problem was solved! :D

You are right - it isn't a passive pre (I have expanded my knowledge in the last year by a fair bit). I do like the look of 627 / 634 buffers that are around -- and would like to try a transformer volume control at some stage..........

Cheers

Jon :)

PS Gyula - you have private mail.

I also have a 290 since new. just had to deal with the local (vancouver Canada) Arcam service depot.. Had to pay what seems to me a LOT for what turned out to be a simple input Diode replacement.. Oh well.. they Did fix it :)
Have tried repeatedly to access a Schematic From the Arcam distributor.. (seems they refuse to part with one.. it's Secret I assume) ..to avoid problems just like the preceeding.

Access to one would be wonderfull IF anyone is willing to Share :)
I have been running my 290 as a power Amp running a pair of Tannoyt GRF's... using a Bottlehead Pre rather than the Arcam's built in one.
The difference is simply astounding. Seriously.. recomended.
The included Arcam pre is best described as Poor in comparison..there is NO going back.. motorized Volume control or not :) while the Amp section simply comes alive..
It just sounds ..So.. much better than before. Try it.

My Delta 290 (integrated) has developed a problem where the left channel seems to cut out and come back in again intermittently. I've checked the phono sockets, tried the input in all the different options (with the selector at the various respective positions) and also different CD players.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I love this amp and I'd be made up to get it fixed!

phil_79 said:
My Delta 290 (integrated) has developed a problem where the left channel seems to cut out and come back in again intermittently. I've checked the phono sockets, tried the input in all the different options (with the selector at the various respective positions) and also different CD players.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I love this amp and I'd be made up to get it fixed!

Hi Phil,

I reckon it'll be your input selector switch. Give it a wiggle and let us know what you find!

Cheers

Jon

Hi Phil,

This is a common problem. IIRC the OEM switch (supplied by Alps) is now out of production, and Arcam have had to source an alternative (that ain't cheap, I believe).

I've got a couple of D290s with this problem, so would be very interested to hear how you get on with Arcam and what the damage was!! :bigeyes:

Cheers

Jon