Harry Haller's Passive Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just converted a 25 year old ladder type passive using a precision TDK 10k 34 position attenuator to the configuration which Harry posted , with a 10k series resistor (Vishay 102 K), and the attenuator as shunt.

This gives very precise matching of channels - a problem even if 'precisely matched' rotary pots are used. But most important, the sound has been improved to the point where the unit now matches quite closely an Audio Synthesis two-resistor shunt type attenuator (Passion V improved)! Not bad for upgrading just by spending £ 7.

janneman said:
fmak, hello,

I tried to find tech info on the TDK attenuator, but the TDK website doesn't give me any pointers. Can you steer me?

-------------------------------------------------

Look up Michael Percy's website; he sells them. As far as I know, the TDK is made by the Tokyo Optical Co. 34 steps ladder, with a very good switch ( I dismantled it) and discrete resistors. Twenty five years ago, it was the best. I have found it to be somewhat mellow with a pleasant sound, but perhaps not the most accurate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.