diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Controversial topic - Components vs. Design (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/20233-controversial-topic-components-vs-design.html)

Jan Dupont 13th September 2003 05:18 PM

Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

I have started this thread in hope of moving the ever continuing
discussions about Components vs. Design away from the
normal threads.

To get you all up of your chairs, her is my oppinion:

- Magic caps do not exist!
- Transistors from SANKEN are not better than many others!
- The Schematic design (and PCB-layout) are more important than the choice of components!

Ok folks ;)
Let debate :nod:

Jan Dupont 13th September 2003 05:27 PM

I forgot

Symmetrical designs are best!

Peter Daniel 13th September 2003 05:28 PM

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=20203

;)

Jan Dupont 13th September 2003 05:31 PM

Thanks Peter:nod:

But only a short thread about caps for crossovers......

Duo 13th September 2003 05:43 PM

Well.... I will agree completely that there aren't magic caps.
Partially that arrangement and placement is more important than parts selection, but, generally, better parts make a better amplifier.

As for your jab at SanKen, no. I have a great respect for SanKen transistors and ICs. I'm not going to say that they're better or worse than many others, because that's simply a matter of opinion and not fact within the realm of diyaudio.
Generally, I find that SanKens are very nice transisors, however, I do still like Motorola very much as well.

Hehe, anybody want to get into a debate over Westinghouse 3055s?:bawling:

Pjotr 13th September 2003 05:52 PM

Re: Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

Quote:

Originally posted by ACD

- The Schematic design (and PCB-layout) are more important than the choice of components!

Hi,

In fact both are important. I donít see your point here, an educated electronic engineer uses that components which are appropriate for the goal intended. And yes you have normally many choices.

But electronics is in anyway useless if the goal it needs to serve is not properly defined.

Cheers ;)

Jan Dupont 13th September 2003 06:16 PM

Pjotr

Quote:

In fact both are important. I donít see your point here, an educated electronic engineer uses that components which are appropriate for the goal intended. And yes you have normally many choices.

But electronics is in anyway useless if the goal it needs to serve is not properly defined.
This was ment in sonic ways, not functionally....:)

PMA 13th September 2003 08:25 PM

As for BJT's, IMHO the best power transistors now are Toshiba's 2SA1943/2SC5200. Why? Because of the unbeated linearity of Ic = f(Ib) curve, regardless other parameters, that are perfect, too.

Pavel

sss 13th September 2003 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ACD

This was ment in sonic ways, not functionally....:)

well in "sonic ways" a good asymmetrical design is as good as a symmetrical one :)

dkemppai 13th September 2003 09:04 PM

Re: Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

Quote:

Originally posted by ACD

<snip>
- Magic caps do not exist!
<snip>

Magic caps do not exist, however caps should be chosen carefully. Some are much better than others. Frequency response, Inductance, ESR, and variations in capacitance vs voltage are all important parameters. When designing, you must weigh all of these parameters into the design.

Board layout can be critical.... ...however stuffing a perfect board with the poorest of components isn't recomended! :) It takes good components to to make a good circuit, and a good board layout to make it work in the real world!

-Dan