Controversial topic - Components vs. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Steve Eddy said:

So? Given that you can patent anything anymore, what has someone having never patented anything have to do with anything?

It's like the punch line of that old joke- "There's some things even the Patent Office won't do!"

More seriously, it tells me the guy probably doesn't have any particular distinction or track record when it comes to creating technologies. Unlike John Curl or Nelson Pass.

SY said:
It's like the punch line of that old joke- "There's some things even the Patent Office won't do!"

I guess you haven't seen what the patent office has granted patents for lately. That old joke is no longer a joke. :)

More seriously, it tells me the guy probably doesn't have any particular distinction or track record when it comes to creating technologies. Unlike John Curl or Nelson Pass.

Well, just as I don't judge people based on whether they have degrees or not, I don't judge people based on whether they have any patents or not.

As I've said to John numerous times in the past, a person's words don't stand or fall based on their "credentials" (or in this case patents) but on the veracity of the words themselves.

se

Steve Eddy said:

I guess you haven't seen what the patent office has granted patents for lately. That old joke is no longer a joke. :)

You bet. They even allowed this one last week.

Steve Eddy said:
Well, just as I don't judge people based on whether they have degrees or not, I don't judge people based on whether they have any patents or not.

As I've said to John numerous times in the past, a person's words don't stand or fall based on their "credentials" (or in this case patents) but on the veracity of the words themselves.

When ideas aren't actually presented, but only assertions, wrapped in a claimed expertise, things like credentials or patents are all one has to go on.

SY said:
You bet. They even allowed this one last week.

Hehehe. Yes. I see why you're big on patents. :)

6,613,406 Multilayer synthetic stopper
6,248,272 Multilayer synthetic stopper
6,239,790 Force sensing semiconductive touchpad
6,153,275 Multilayer synthetic stopper
6,085,923 Composite synthetic stopper
6,084,572 Isometric pointing device with integrated click and method
5,943,044 Force sensing semiconductive touchpad
5,847,639 Layered pressure transducer land method for making same
5,659,334 Force-sensing pointing device
5,365,671 Inclinometer
5,302,936 Conductive particulate force transducer
5,296,837 Stannous oxide force transducer and composition
5,053,585 Multipurpose keyboard using digitizer pad featuring spatial minimization of a pressure contact area and method of making same
4,994,783 Electronic device fabrication on non-conductive polymer substrate
4,963,702 Digitizer pad featuring spacial definition of a pressure contact area
4,855,361 Conductive polymer-polyimide blends and method for producing same
4,851,487 Conductive polymer materials and method of producing same
4,822,638 Electronic device fabrication on non-conductive polymer substrate
4,806,271 Preparation of base-type conducting polymers
4,798,685 Production of base-type conducting polymers

And these two applications in the oven:

20030031881 Gas permeation resistant synthetic cork closure
20020180083 Multilayer synthetic stopper

Damn. A Ph.D. and gobs of patents. You're John's kind o' guy. :)

When ideas aren't actually presented, but only assertions, wrapped in a claimed expertise, things like credentials or patents are all one has to go on.

All one has to go on with regard to what exactly?

se

SY said:
Whether or not this is something new and interesting or just a guy trying to hustle a buck out of the suckers by selling them a jar full of rocks.

But patents are issued to such people all the time. There have been recent patents issued for "over unity" devices. John Bedini was given a patent for spinning CDs in a magnetic field claiming (and even "proving" in his patent) that it not only caused the data on the CD to be compressed, but also rearranged the data on the CD. And so on. So I don't give whether or not someone has been granted any patents any inherent credence over those who haven't been granted any.

Actually, there are a few more in the oven that haven't gotten to publication phase yet.

Well pin a rose on your nose. :)

se

advance said:
An excellent topolgy can sound mediocre, a mediocre topology can sound excellent and of course, how it should be: vice versa!

Therefore, I strongly believe: The sonic quality of any product/design depends on how seamless every single aspect (topology, components, power supply, casing etc.) has been integrated and adjusted.

advance

Not so. Very simple and primitive topology with high inherent distortion cannot sound excellent, only to the ears of proud and satisfied builder.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's my opinion that the patent office started going to hell when
they opened it up to hare-brained internet business models.

We no longer intend to apply for any patents - it took them
four years to even get round to looking at our last application
(and they were rude about it, too), and it is simply too expensive
anymore unless you really think the invention's that important.

Nelson Pass said:
We no longer intend to apply for any patents - it took them
four years to even get round to looking at our last application
(and they were rude about it, too), and it is simply too expensive
anymore unless you really think the invention's that important.

That's unusual. My worst case was 4 years from date of application to issuance, and THAT was only because of a boneheaded examiner who got slapped down by the Appeals board. More typically, they've been running about 3 years from application to issue.

Expense is a different story, but I'm convinced that you can do the process without lawyers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.