20KW POWER AMP SCHEMATIC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 20KW POWER AMP SCHEMATIC

IS THIS TRUE.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20kW.jpg (197.5 KB, 732 views)
Old 9th December 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not with 115V rails.

115V/1.5 = 75

75*75/1 = 5.6KW into 1 ohm.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:56 PM   #3
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's only a simulation rather than a real built amp but from my own calculations then if it's designed for a 1R load then yes it could do it. Glen posts good stuff on this here site and knows what he is talking about..
Old 10th December 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

nonono look at all the rail switches! 40v + 65V + 90V+ 115V = 310V rails!!!

310/4ohms = 77.5 amps x 310v = 24kw factoring in line sag that's about right. 20kw
Old 10th December 2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are added I thought they were switched between? Or turned in stages?

Prob 2ohm peak is 310V rms capability ~210V.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:27 AM   #6
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

It's only +/-115V. Those rails don't add, it just runs off whichever one is needed. Real world power with +/-115 rails goes from a low of about 650W/4R with a typical undersized toroid (RMX2450, EP2500) to about 1200W/4R with a solid regulated switcher in something more expensive. Maybe 2k-2.5k per side at 2R, but only for a short time. These amps only use between 4 and 6 pairs of outputs per channel.

The most powerful (PA audio) amps available, anywhere, only use +/-195V rails - they're limited by the devices available. It's 6.5kW per side at 2R, class TD and costs more than anyone here makes in a month. I'm pretty sure that supply is stiffly regulated to get that - put it on a soft AC line on a 20A circuit and you won't even approach that.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
I saw something like that before. Ancient shaker table driver, I can't almost remember the manufacturer's name... Occupied four solid racks, between the cooling, frequency generation, acceleration calibration and amplifier. Table itself was in another room, supposedly about a 1 ohm, 10kW overgrown subwoofer.

In the back of the amplifier rack, there were two water-cooled rails, each with around 50 stud-type bipolar transistors mounted. Amazingly enough, the design was a 50V, class AB circlotron! As you might guess from six linear feet of transistors, it was poorly compensated and exhibited parasitic oscillations during some portions of the cycle.

Oh yeah, remembered who made it, Unholtz Dickie. Looks like they're still making them, although I'm slightly bemused that most of their pictures are renderings. Their modern-ish switching amps are "only" 90% efficient, but that's a step up from their "older, water-cooled vacuum tube" amplifiers. I can guess what their business is like -- small production, high price, low development. I'd be surprised if they have a team of engineers designing these things, or for that matter, if the guys who did it are still around.

Tim
Old 10th December 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Whoops Miscalculation there!! I actually make it just over 6KW.
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Awwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez View Post
Whoops Miscalculation there!! I actually make it just over 6KW.
I am a commercial audio amplifying design engineer and want to know how in the hell you get 6kw with those parameters???????
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Just to explore this rail switching philosophy.

The amp is set up and biased and output offset set to near zero when the lowest voltage supply rails are operating.
A good compensation scheme will keep the output bias and output offset under some form of controlled limits to ensure the amp performs on these low voltage supply rails.

Let's increase the the supply rails to the maximum to accomodate a high level transient.

Will the controls that governed output bias and output offset be able to keep those variables within the limits that applied when only the lowest voltage rails wer operating.

Particularly, consider the output offset. If this offset momentarily diverges from the quiescent value when the high voltage rails switch in, will the changed offset plus the transient combine into an indistinguishable "signal" that gets passed to the speaker and thus be heard as a form of added distortion?

BTW,
just in case any think I am bashing switchable rails. I think a similar questioning of variable or swinging bias in ClassA amplifiers to find if that changing set of bias and offset can distort the wanted transient signal.

Last edited by AndrewT; 22nd April 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!