Bi-amping with 2 integrated amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there. I have recently inherited a 2nd Marantz PM6010 integrated amp and would like to use it alongside its twin to bi-amp. Is this possible? Unfortunatley they do not have pre-outs, but I was wondering if there was a way of doing it e.g. splitting the signal from the player?
Do you think this would give any improvements in sound reproduction, or is there a better way of doing it?
Thanks, Les

Biamping is generally used to indicate separate frequency bands handled by separate amplifiers, as well as different transducers. I see no advantage in trying to use two full range amplifiers to drive one loudspeaker system (except in total power output, and I doubt whether this is your ultimate aim.

If you have separate sets of loudspeakers in different rooms, it would, I suppose, give you the option of a separate volume control. There you could probably use the tape out send to maintain input selection – but it all gets complicated for very little gain in either quality or convenience.

Thanks for the quick responses. I take your point chrispenycate ' I see no advantage in trying to use two full range amplifiers to drive one loudspeaker system (except in total power output, and I doubt whether this is your ultimate aim.'

My aim would be to improve sound quality and if it is a pointless exercise in that sense it wouldn't be worth doing. Probably best to sell the Marantz on and put the money towards a better amp. I'm never quite sure whether upgrading speakers or amplifier would bring the greatest improvement.

I have a pair of Kef q80s from the early 90's - they were quite expensive then £600 to £800ish. Do you think that more modern speakers would yield any noticeable improvement in quality?
Les

Also bi-amping with the existing passive crossover inside the speakers would be interesting . putting double binding posts in the loudspeaker ( if there aren't)
is the same as adding Rca's in the amplifier .
The only thing to consider would be the preamplifier , properly a buffer : it should be able to drive both amp inputs together .

Thanks. I may buy a couple of splitters and try it out. Could be an interesting experiment.

Les

That's the spirit...go for it! One integrated handles L/R lows and the other L/R highs, and you now have high and low controls for separate tuning. Don't worry about full range amp issues raised here as the internal passive crossovers will take care and sort out the frequencies. Better to put to use the internal passive crossovers than external actives as the former were designed together with the drivers/cabinets. A lot more tuning/patience needed when you employ external actives plus the added costs.

It seems that British Bi-Amping is different from the rest of DiyAudio's version.

Using two amplifiers to separately drive the two sets of speaker terminals on the back of a normal two way speaker is Bi-Amping.

Everyone else seems to think that converting to an active speaker system is biamping.

Have a bash. You already have the two amplifiers.
You need to intercept the output of the volume control in the "master" amp and feed this signal into the "slave" amp at exactly the same after volume control location.

If there are loudness and tone controls you can consider taking these out of circuit. Not just switching them out.
You can locate the amp right behind it's respective speaker. You might manage with a pair of 1 foot cables.

The only problem with this proposal is that the output impedance of the volume control can rise as high as one quarter of the volume pot resistance. This will not allow all the treble to arrive at the "slave" amplifier, if the pot is >50k.
There is a solution, but we leave that until after you have tried the easy experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.