Amp for 16 ohm headphones (MDR-EX71SL)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I just realized that my Linkwitz recommended Sony MDR-EX71SL headphones are listed as 16 ohm (16.5 ohm measured with DMM)!

Yikes, that's like a, a ... a speaker!

What would you recommend as a DIY amp? (option to add cross-feed later would be a bonus)

I've got a JHL clone on the way and some simple opamp based ones to compare ...

Cheers,
Jeff

"O2" and "the Wire" are two currently hot designs, either will do fine with a 16 Ohm load. Check the "headphones" section here at DIY audio. Just beware any amp with an output impedance of over a couple Ohms . . . current sourcing headphones changes the frequency response.

hold the "you'll go deaf" comments until you appreciate what Dynamic headroom is

the other number you need is 100 dB/mW sensitivity

120 dB SPL is a pretty high dynamic peak music level - requires 100 mWrms into the 16 Ohms - some may accept 110 dB peak as adequte for most listening

so a high estimate of amp capability to avoid clipping would be 1.8 V, 112 mA peak for these headphones

the current requirement can be met with some high output current op amps - but many give up at few 10s of mA so you need to look for those speced for this

paralleling a few op amp outputs could also get you more current but the current sharing R increase amp output Z - not always good with such low Z load

a higher current buffer in a "audio" op amp loop is one of the more common ways to diy a amp for such loads

HeadWize Library - Projects is inactive but archived - THE source for diy headphone amp info
check out the articles, technical papers too
HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide) is good for safe listening advice - and an appreciation of music dynamic range, required headroom

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.