upc1237 supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The datasheet states that VCC should be between 25VDC and 60VDC.

However from looking at various implemtentations, lower supply voltages should be usable as well. VCC as low as 12VAC(16VDC after rectificatiion and diode drop) is used in various implementations.

Should I expect it to work at VCC of 15VDC or are the designs with VCC of 12VAC(16VDC) flawed?

According to the datasheet you must determine the value of R8 so that the voltage at pin 8 is 3.4V. From Fig.6 you can determine what the current is (about 2.8mA)...the rest is simple.

The circuit should work down to 3.4V but I have not looked if other components need to be recalculated.

According to the datasheet you must determine the value of R8 so that the voltage at pin 8 is 3.4V. From Fig.6 you can determine what the current is (about 2.8mA)...the rest is simple.

The circuit should work down to 3.4V but I have not looked if other components need to be recalculated.

You sure about that? The datasheet states VCC from 25V to 60V. Sure, you can calculate the resistance of R8 when using lower than 25V VCC values, but nowhere in the datasheet is mentioned if the chip will work below 25V VCC.

Do you have any practical experience with supplying the Upc1237 with VCC values below 25V?

I determined the formula to calculate R8 from the original graph: R8=(Vcc-3.4)/2.8 ; R8(kohm). Here is the same graph extrapolated.

To Greg: their formulas apply to a stereo amp, personally I think there's a caveat with this approach in the (unlikely, but still possible) event that one channel has a positive offset and the other a negative one. Pin 2 might see a voltage still within it's thresholds and do...nothing. I would use one per channel and readapt those formulas...
300uF seems large but only has to charge to +0.6V or -0.2V through ~28k. In my amps I have 100u and 120k//120k (and a 100k to gnd)

My experience with this circuit: more than 10 years ago, :eek:, I modified my old pair of Rotel 'monoblocks'...higher rail voltage meant new value for 'my R8'. The amps are still working today, never had the chance to trip the protection though.

BTW there is/was a replacement in case you come across the NTE7100.

Attachments

• fig6.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 217
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks so much sidiy,

Good point about having both channels feeding the filter circuit and canceling each other, I had not thought about that before.

Many speaker protection circuits use a NP or 2 polar caps in series (back to back) so they work on the negative cycle as well.

regards

Just to come in on this a little late, But i've noticed that if I run this circuit at 18v, the switch off time when detecting a dc on pin is much longer, than when i run it on 30Vdc.
I don't know why this happens. Just saying.
Maybe someone else can elaborate on this??

Joined 2010
Paid Member
.... i've noticed that if I run this circuit at 18v, the switch off time when detecting a dc on pin is much longer, than when i run it on 30Vdc.....
OK, so have you changed R8 to suit either voltage as detailed in the previous posts and the data sheet? What do you measure at pin 8 with either an 18 or 30V supply?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.