diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Opinions on this amp...? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/20150-opinions-amp.html)

DrG 11th September 2003 08:52 PM

Opinions on this amp...?

2 Attachment(s)
I've been revisiting at some "simple" amp designs, notably the JLH 10W and the Pass Z5. Both appeal to me in different ways and I'm a sucker for alternative topologies...

I was toying with this circuit late last night so it hasn't been thought through entirely. I'm not able to attempt a simulation at present. Some of the component values are straight out of the Z5 (apologies to Nelson).

The idea was to do something substantially "different" and combine CC and CE output devices, in this case in a class AB o/p stage. What does the forum think? Nelson? Anybody willing to have a go at simulating? I'm a bit worried those BJT's are going to oscillate. BTW the parts designations merely reflect what I have lying around at the moment.

All constructive (and destructive) criticism welcomed...

Steve Eddy 11th September 2003 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Better add some protection diodes to those MOSFETs lest you get yourself ripped a new one for posting such an irresponsible schematic. :)

Looks like you've achieved your design goals, but it doesn't exactly scream "simple" with half a dozen or so more parts than the Zv5.

If you want a CC/CE combination and simple, how 'bout something like this?

jam 11th September 2003 10:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Steve,

I knew you would find a way to stick a transformer in there!

Regards,
Jam

Steve Eddy 11th September 2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jam
I knew you would find a way to stick a transformer in there!

Transformer? Oh crap! That was supposed to be an opamp! :D

se

SY 11th September 2003 10:54 PM

"Four leads good, two leads bad."

Steve Eddy 12th September 2003 12:54 AM

What happened, Jam? You yanked your post right out from underneath me. I think I broke my tailbone. Is there a lawyer in the house?

se

jam 12th September 2003 12:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had to pull it ..........moderators seem to be a bit edgy today.

Steve Eddy 12th September 2003 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jam
Had to pull it ..........moderators seem to be a bit edgy today.
No joke? What on earth was wrong with it!?

se

jam 12th September 2003 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well what the heck. I have never been to the sinbin.

My response was...

Opamp!.....I got your opamp. (No insult ment)

Steve Eddy 12th September 2003 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jam
Well what the heck. I have never been to the sinbin.

My response was...

Opamp!.....I got your opamp. (No insult ment)

I know there was no insult meant. And the yank my finger thing is about as tame as it gets which is why I'm at a loss as to why anyone would have a problem with it.

What I was going to reply was that you need to get more into the Jersey spirit of it. You know, more like "Opamp? We gotcher opamp raiiight heah, pal!" :mafioso:

se