Please help me troubleshoot Niles Audio SI-1230 12 channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I just received a used Niles Audio SI-1230 12 channel amplifier that I was planning to use in my home theater. Although it will power up when I turn it on, I cannot get sound out of any of the channels.

- I removed the two fuses in the front of the amp and checked them with a multimeter, and both seem to be intact.

- The amp has three power on modes: manual, audio sensing, and 3-30v ac/dc trigger. I've tried all three, and still nothing.

- The front panel indicator lights are as follows: power, active, protect. The power light turns on and the room lights momentarily dim, as if the amp is charging up all the capacitors. However, the "active" LED never lights.

I'm guessing that the problem lies within the small circuit board in the front that holds the LEDs, power switch, etc, but can't be sure at this point. Can someone guide me through some basic component checking steps?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
Here are some pics of that front circuit board. Is that stuff at the base of the 1000uf cap glue or leaked electrolytic? I don't see any such stuff elsewhere.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• DSCF2781.jpg
    DSCF2781.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCF2782.jpg
    DSCF2782.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF2785.jpg
    DSCF2785.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF2786.jpg
    DSCF2786.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF2787.jpg
    DSCF2787.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 242
any way consider your shelf lucky ... given the opportunity allow me to ....'" simulate " your approach on fault finding procedures

it seemed that you had a car that will not start which you towed to a service center claiming that the key switch will not work any more resulting impossible for the car to start ...

Well i bet you that no matter how many times you put your car in a service center there might be a number of troubles except the main switch ....

Obviously there was never a problem in the led circuit in your amplifier since the led will only provide an indication of operation or protect based on a few criteria... trace the problem there ... not in the indication circuits ...

Happy regards
sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.