pioneer a 88x can it be tweeked ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
These are pretty nice amps, nonswitching outputs high current output capable and sound pretty good. Considering the age of the amp I would recommend you rather start with replacing the caps especially the ones in the power supply circuitry and the main rectifying caps. After that you could also have a look at the caps in filtering and coupling circuitry depending on what was originally used and if you have access to a scope the compensation ones too. A bit of a warning, be very becareful as to not damage the nonswitching IC, will be very hard to replace.

These are pretty nice amps, nonswitching outputs high current output capable and sound pretty good. Considering the age of the amp I would recommend you rather start with replacing the caps especially the ones in the power supply circuitry and the main rectifying caps. After that you could also have a look at the caps in filtering and coupling circuitry depending on what was originally used and if you have access to a scope the compensation ones too. A bit of a warning, be very becareful as to not damage the nonswitching IC, will be very hard to replace.

could be a plan,would you change like for like or change any of the values of the caps.and would you change caps in the signal path to wimas,ive heard of some people doing this before.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Like for like is a good idea but in the case of the rectifying caps Id probably go a size or two up, that is space permitting on pcb. Pioneer usually used better than standard caps so Id get some good ones for replacement. Since youre in the UK and can easier purchase, have a look at BNC slitfoils, excellent power supply caps.

Wima polyprops are very good yes, but this again is size permitting, these caps are much larger, otherwise go with high quality electros. It also depends on what you want to spend to restore the amp.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wow, that was all a long time ago.

The 2604 is still as valid today if you like the sound. The other one to try would be the LM4562. Pretty much as good as it gets as regarding being transparent but you may/may not still prefer the 2604 at the end of the day.

Hi all, i just wanted to revive this thread because today i have taken delivery of a seemingly mint condition Pioneer A-88X from the 'bay ... not actually fired it up yet, a lot of dust inside i'd prefer to remove first

did you change the caps in yours after this thread?

was the other poster right about the opamps being only in the tone section (i intend to run it Line Straight with that bypassed anyway)

been looking for the BHC Slitfoils, are they still the best recommendation?

i'm looking forward to getting the best i can from this lovely 30 year old amp

any input appreciated

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.