jvc amplifier overload

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.
I have a JVC rx8030v amplifier that I am running two klipsch rf3-II speakers with. Everything sounds pretty good, but when I have it turned up loud, my amplifier shuts off with an overload message. I would like to get a little bit more out of it, so I was wondering if doubling the capacitance in the power supply might help with this problem. Im not sure what the stereo monitors in order to give an overload error, but Im thinking that if it is monitoring the supply voltage, then it may be dropping slightly in bass-heavy sections of songs. I've checked and double checked all connections and I dont think anything is wrong with the amp, I just think it may be too weak to power 4 8-inch woofers. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi,
You can try doubling the capacitance in the power supply, however I don't think it will help you....
Your overload protection circuit could either be monitoring your power supply or sense the output current.
BUT!!!!!!!!!
The protection circuit has been added to spare your output transistors from a sudden dead! A bigger supply won't change this fact, and do not try to make changes in the protection circuit.
This will only lead to blown output transistors.....

I don't known your speakers, but if they are 4 Ohms you can be sure that the impedance curve reaches 2 Ohms or lower at certain frequencies, which causes your protection circuit to trigger...

Taylor,
maybe your amp gets a little too hot?
does it shut off immediately when you play loud, or after a few minutes?
try removing anything sitting on it, or maybe have a fan blow into (ideally from below). If you can see the heatsinks through the openings, aim the fan on it.

i agree with ACD, doubling the caps probably won't work. it is only more torture for the rectifiers anyway, from my POV...

If it isn't overcurrent (as mentioned by ACD), it is probably heat. If it's overcurrent, you need a more powerful amp.

The Klipsch RF-3 are 8Ohms with 98dB @ 1W/1m.
If the amplifier doesn´t have a fault you must be listening at quite an impressive volume level.:bigeyes:
The amplifier should deliver 130W for the main speakers so there shouldn´t be a problem IMO.
Have you connected any other speakers?

Cheers
Jens

Jan, for me and you it is probably no problem to operate an amp without cover...
for non-professionals, this is forbidden (see the sign on the back of the amp, Taylor), for a good reason!
Do not operate the amplifier open! Do not touch the internals while it is connected to the mains, and for 1 minute or something after you have disconnected it!
This is for your personal safety, mains voltage can kill and the high DC voltage (rail-rail, over 100V) even more so!

OK, thanks everyone for your input. To start with, I now see the flaws in my idea to stiffen the power supply. Yes, it is quite an impressive volume, but my neighbors ears aren't bleeding yet!! This amp tends to run quite warm, even at a low to moderate level. I do have a 2yr electronics degree, and I work with high voltage on a regular basis, so I'm not worried about taking the cover off for testing... which I will do while running a fan on it. I use this amp for video switching as well, so its always on and always warm even before I start listening to music. It has about 8 inches of clear space above it, and just a digital cable box under it, so it should have plenty of "breathing room".

I'm beginning to think that this "problem" may have more to do with speaker placement/room acoustics than anything. It is VERY loud, but I want to hear it AND feel it. Before I get too carried away here, I think I will test the heat idea, then play with speaker placement, and try hooking up a subwoofer and see if I can come up with something that sounds how I want it to.

Thanks again everyone, and feel free to keep throwing ideas at me.

hey Taylor,
it wasn't my intention to call you a "mere consumer" but it wasn't evident that you had electronics experience. better be safe than sorry - right? ;)
please let us know how you get on.
regards,
k

yeah i use 80W amp on > 106dB speakers... so i am in the very loud camp as well. :devily: :devily: :devily:

JVC Amplilfier Overload

Hey there,
I believe your amp has a switch on the back panel either 4 or 8 ohms. The problem is that the JVC doesn't have enough current to power your 4 speakers properly. Those speakers do have a sharp impedance curve. Try setting the switch to 4 ohms. This will limit current but might keep the amp from shutting down ( or going into protect). It just can't handle the imp rise and fall of those speakers. Another guestion - do you have all four running off of the A terminal?? if so you've really loaded the amp down, it definitely won't work properly this way. make sure you have one set of speakers on A and one on B.

Hope this helps.

Drew, just to clarify, I am only running 2 speaker cabinets that are rated at 8 ohms, but there are two 8 inch woofers in each cabinet. This amp doesn't have a 4-8 ohm switch on it, but your post did give me another idea.

These speakers are bi-amp capable, meaning that I can disconnect a metal strap and run one of the woofers independantly. Maybe I can run that woofer off another channel in the amp??? Im working 12 hour shifts this week, but I will try all of these ideas this weekend and let you guys know what I find.

Can anyone explain to me why the impedance of a speaker would drop rather than increase while it is running? Im just curious about that.

The impedance is just frequency dependant, IOW it depends on what frequency you are trying to reproduce. At resonance, the impedance has a maximum, up higher there is usually not a big rise (woofer L rise is compensated) and down to the lower frequencies the impedance decreases (down at DC, the impedance is the resistance of the voice coils, this is the absolutely minimum impedance, and you can easily measure this with your DMM).
If you don't use all channels in your amp anyway bi-amping will probably help!
good luck

OK, I tried bi-amping but that didn't work (due to my own ignorance of surround sound systems). I played with speaker placement and this didn't help much either. Now I have bypassed all internal EQ settings, running "analog direct" , put a fan running directly under the heatsink(which I might add is the wimpiest one I have ever seen), and turned it up...waayy up to 54 out of 70 max. HOLY !@## my ears hurt! I gave up before the amp did with no noticable distortion! The bass response still isn't quite what I want, so I think I will hook up my makeshift subwoofer setup (an old Onkyo receiver powering two 12's in a homemade box) and I should be set. Thanks everyone for your help. The police should be here any minute, so I better go!

I have the same trouble with my JVC RX-7000V.

Mine is on a shelf all by itself with about 4 inches of clearance above and lots of room to each side and the back is open.

So, if I read Drew's comment correctly, if I have the switch on the back of my amp, changing it to 4ohms, this might solve the problem for me?

I should know this stuff because I studied some of it in college but it's been a while - can some one give me a 15 second explanation of how that works? Or if it's in another thread, point me to it. (I'm new here :rolleyes: )

A little more info on my setup as far as speakers go.

I have a pair of Paradigm Titans and a Yamaha NS-C55 center channel speaker. I have Yamaha rear channels too but they're not hooked up yet (I need to run the wires).

I bought these speakers when I lived in my last house where everything was in a VERY small room.
The room things are in now is that much bigger in the sense of floor space but it is open at one end and connects to a large eat-in kitchen. (I know, yuck. But I have no where else to set up).

Thaks for any help.

Ah well. I figured out my problem.

I'm embarassed to say what it is, but I will in case it helps someone else in the future.

While looking for the impedance switch on the back of my amp, I noticed that there was an extra pair of speaker wires hooked up to the main (A) speaker terminals. Not very good wire either. :sorry:

I can't remember why they are there and why I wouldn't use the B speaker terminals for what ever it is I did when I did it. The wires don't go anywhere either.

I know I did it because no one else in the house would mess with anything electronic.

I yanked those wires off and set my good wires back in place and tested it out with the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. I used this as a test because when we watched it last night, there was a point about 2 minutes in that triggered the overload circuit.

Well, my daughter is watching the rest of the movie at about 20 notches higher than we were able to watch it last night.

The extra wire was messing up the impedance enough to trigger the overload circuit. (Right?)

So, while I solved my own problem, it was information on this board that made me go look at it again.

Thanks very much. I like this board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.