jvc amplifier overload - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2003, 06:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default jvc amplifier overload

Hi everyone.
I have a JVC rx8030v amplifier that I am running two klipsch rf3-II speakers with. Everything sounds pretty good, but when I have it turned up loud, my amplifier shuts off with an overload message. I would like to get a little bit more out of it, so I was wondering if doubling the capacitance in the power supply might help with this problem. Im not sure what the stereo monitors in order to give an overload error, but Im thinking that if it is monitoring the supply voltage, then it may be dropping slightly in bass-heavy sections of songs. I've checked and double checked all connections and I dont think anything is wrong with the amp, I just think it may be too weak to power 4 8-inch woofers. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10th September 2003, 06:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Hi,
You can try doubling the capacitance in the power supply, however I don't think it will help you....
Your overload protection circuit could either be monitoring your power supply or sense the output current.
BUT!!!!!!!!!
The protection circuit has been added to spare your output transistors from a sudden dead! A bigger supply won't change this fact, and do not try to make changes in the protection circuit.
This will only lead to blown output transistors.....

I don't known your speakers, but if they are 4 Ohms you can be sure that the impedance curve reaches 2 Ohms or lower at certain frequencies, which causes your protection circuit to trigger...
Old 10th September 2003, 07:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Taylor,
maybe your amp gets a little too hot?
does it shut off immediately when you play loud, or after a few minutes?
try removing anything sitting on it, or maybe have a fan blow into (ideally from below). If you can see the heatsinks through the openings, aim the fan on it.

i agree with ACD, doubling the caps probably won't work. it is only more torture for the rectifiers anyway, from my POV...

If it isn't overcurrent (as mentioned by ACD), it is probably heat. If it's overcurrent, you need a more powerful amp.
Old 10th September 2003, 07:42 PM   #4
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Klipsch RF-3 are 8Ohms with 98dB @ 1W/1m.
If the amplifier doesn´t have a fault you must be listening at quite an impressive volume level.
The amplifier should deliver 130W for the main speakers so there shouldn´t be a problem IMO.
Have you connected any other speakers?

Cheers
Jens
Old 10th September 2003, 07:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Keyne and Jens,
If the speakers are 8 Ohms it most likely either the speakers impedance curve, heat (try removing the cover from the amp) or the fact that you play insanely loud (like I do!!)

Try touch the heatsinks of the amplifier, - Are they hot???
Old 10th September 2003, 08:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Jan, for me and you it is probably no problem to operate an amp without cover...
for non-professionals, this is forbidden (see the sign on the back of the amp, Taylor), for a good reason!
Do not operate the amplifier open! Do not touch the internals while it is connected to the mains, and for 1 minute or something after you have disconnected it!
This is for your personal safety, mains voltage can kill and the high DC voltage (rail-rail, over 100V) even more so!
Old 11th September 2003, 08:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks everyone for your input. To start with, I now see the flaws in my idea to stiffen the power supply. Yes, it is quite an impressive volume, but my neighbors ears aren't bleeding yet!! This amp tends to run quite warm, even at a low to moderate level. I do have a 2yr electronics degree, and I work with high voltage on a regular basis, so I'm not worried about taking the cover off for testing... which I will do while running a fan on it. I use this amp for video switching as well, so its always on and always warm even before I start listening to music. It has about 8 inches of clear space above it, and just a digital cable box under it, so it should have plenty of "breathing room".

I'm beginning to think that this "problem" may have more to do with speaker placement/room acoustics than anything. It is VERY loud, but I want to hear it AND feel it. Before I get too carried away here, I think I will test the heat idea, then play with speaker placement, and try hooking up a subwoofer and see if I can come up with something that sounds how I want it to.

Thanks again everyone, and feel free to keep throwing ideas at me.
Old 11th September 2003, 04:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hey Taylor,
it wasn't my intention to call you a "mere consumer" but it wasn't evident that you had electronics experience. better be safe than sorry - right?
please let us know how you get on.
regards,
k

yeah i use 80W amp on > 106dB speakers... so i am in the very loud camp as well.
Old 11th September 2003, 05:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'll keep you posted. Thanks
Old 11th September 2003, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to hear the result

Hide this!Advertise here!