Measuring caps without ESR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I read that to mean 60W for stereo mode which is what I've been testing, or 50W for five channel surround mode where the amp has to drive more speakers, which makes sense to me.

But I don't know why it only refers to 60W Continuous Average Power (FTC) in stereo mode, yet theres no mention of FTC in the surround mode spec.

Think that is the only way it can be interpretted really. All channels driven will pull the power supply down reducing available output voltage .

Full output voltage with no load connected results in Vout = 19.99Vac and Current out = 0.0Aac.
Power delivered to the (not connected) load = zero Watts P=I*V.
You have measured the maximum output voltage into an infinite impedance load. This is a useful figure to know.

The first part of the "risky" test.
Adjust the input to the amplifier so that the open circuit output signal is not clipped. But only just not clipped. Not half a volt less.
Watching the scope view. Tap the series pair of 9r+9r (=18r) load to the output terminals.
Two observations are required from you in very quick succession. You must not keep the 18r load on for long. I suggest no more than 1 second, until you are sure you will not damage the amp due to overheating.
Q1.) did the waveform change to a clipped signal at the output terminals?
Q2.) did the peak to peak value of the output waveform change?
Q3.) what is the Vpp of the clipped signal @ what input signal?

From the answers to these questions based on your observations, you have to decide whether it's safe to proceed with a further test AFTER allowing time for the amplifier transistors and other parts to cool back down to quiescent temperature.

Do that and report back with the maximum unclipped no load test voltage and then with the clipped Vpp of the 18r very short term load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.